login crash

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

login crash

Postby psuplat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 19:53

Hi all,

I've recently installed Sabayon 10 with the KDE environment. It worked fine for about a week. I've closed it last night (properly) and all was ok with it but when I started it today all I get is a large grey-ish login form, with a small console on the bottom right corner of the screen showing me some info with dates and times in it. The login will not accept my user password or the root password for the matter.

Anyone came across something similar?

I don't know where to start looking for a solution even so any help is welcome?

Thanks.

Edit:
I'm attaching a picture of how the screen look like. Maybe this will help you determine the cause.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/dscf2434w.jpg/
psuplat
Baby Hen

Re: login crash

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 16:30

That's not a crash! That is the standard X Windows log-in prompt. That wouldn't happen on its own, so I assume you performed an upgrade at some point? When you upgraded, it is possible that the xdm (X Windows Desktop Manager) config file was updated and put back to its default. Anyway, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a VT (Virtual Terminal a.k.a. 'TTY console'), log-in as root user, and have a look at the contents of the file /etc/conf.d/xdm. If it contains DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" then use the nano editor to change it to DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm".

For future reference, when you upgrade, it's worth checking if a new version of /etc/conf.d/xdm has overwritten the original, and, if necessary, you can edit DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" to be DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" again. So:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password:
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo conf update
# cat /etc/conf.d/xdm
# nano /etc/conf.d/xdm # Only if necessary.
# exit
exit
$
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby psuplat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 23:26

I checked the xdm file at it was properly set kdm. I run the update/upgrade. Install all the upgrades successfully checked the xdm file again (all ok) and still nothing it just won't boot into kdm. Ideas?
psuplat
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 14:59

Re-install KDE?

Code: Select all
equo install kde-meta
equo conf update
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area