!! not find the root block device in .

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: !! not find the root block device in .

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 16:10

Hallo...
Maybe this thread will help you. Finally, I had to reinstall Grub2 with Rigo and then reinstall Grub2 on my system.
Grub2 is newly installed after Kernel-Update.

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=28195&p=155310&hilit=block+device#p155310

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Johnny Who » Thu Jan 17, 2013 16:40

Well, it happened to me yesterday! I was terrified because it was a brand new installation, but figured out the solution. You just chroot in and issue:
Code: Select all
equo cleanup

I suspect that the filesystem gets fragmented due to the untaring of too many files. As I have choosed to test btrfs, I am even more prone to that. However, after doing that, I booted normally? Which filesystem do you use?
Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 19:20

I have an ssd and I was thinking about to choose btrfs. But I've heared too much of problems and I think, btrfs isn't really stable. So, I choosed xfs. Until now, I am content. The speed is fast and you can activate journaling.
Before, when I used mechanical hdds, I preferred jfs. I always could repair my hdd, when fsck problems :D .
But I've read jfs misses something important necessary for ssd (I forgot what it was, sorry).
I would recommend jfs for mechanical hdd.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Johnny Who » Thu Jan 17, 2013 22:28

However, although it may be a result of my REALLY simple partitioning scheme, btrfs gives me a feel of a "well balanced" filesystem. Its speed is not that awesome (yet), but it feels solid (by that I do not mean stable) and more promising than ext4...8-)
Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Postby shailew » Sat Jan 19, 2013 15:50

@Wolfden. I tried out several things.
I reinstalled kernels 3.7-r3 using kernel-switcher after chroot but it did not work, then I re-installed Sabayon KDE 10 upgraded system and as in previous attempt Virtualbox had installed kernel 3.7-r3, I installed directly without VirtualBox with kernel-switcher, again same problem and now kernel 3.5-r7 is also giving same error therefore I have again installed Sabayon KDE 10. This error has something to do with Kernel 3.7-r7, I will not install it now. Secondly earlier Volumes were created through installation process but now I created partitions on my own to avoid complications while chroot. Please let me know what could be error.
shailew
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15

no idea, do the grub lines look correct and pointing to the correct locations?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sihox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46

You can try setting real_root in grub config.
For example, if you have root filesystem on /dev/sda1:

1. In /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="real_root=/dev/sda1"

2. rebuild grub config
grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sihox
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:42

sihox wrote:2. rebuild grub config
grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That should be:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area