How to regenerate kde menus [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to regenerate kde menus [Solved]

Postby avkward » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18

Some games just won't work after installation. I checked permissions and discovered that the group they (their files that is) belong to is defined as (wrong) number, so I just chgroup'ed them to games group and now everything works. The problem is, these games still won't appear in (kde) menu.

If I write the name of the game (let's say "torcs"), then I get nice completion with right icon and everything, but in Games section of menu there still are only five subsections (which where there from the beginning I believe):

Logic Games;
    Arcade;
    Board Games;
    Card Games;
    Tactics & Strategy
while in the /usr/share/applications/torcs-torcs.desktop it says:

Code: Select all
$ cat -n /usr/share/applications/torcs-torcs.desktop  | grep Categories
     8  Categories=Game;SportsGame;

So, long question short, how do I regenerate menus now? Installing & removing new packages or just logging out won't help, and apparently this is one of those questions, when Google just won't understand my phrasing (although I have no doubts that The Amighty know the right answer as usual).
Last edited by avkward on Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
avkward
Baby Hen

Re: How to regenerate (kde) menus

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23

Have you tried the following?

$ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

The following command will show you what the above command will detect for the KDE menu.

$ kbuildsycoca4 --menutest

$ kbuildsycoca4 --help
Usage: kbuildsycoca4 [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options]

Rebuilds the system configuration cache.

Generic options:
  --help                    Show help about options
  --help-qt                 Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde                Show KDE specific options
  --help-all                Show all options
  --author                  Show author information
  -v, --version             Show version information
  --license                 Show licence information
  --                        End of options

Options:
  --nosignal                Do not signal applications to update
  --noincremental           Disable incremental update, re-read everything
  --checkstamps             Check file timestamps
  --nocheckfiles            Disable checking files (dangerous)
  --global                  Create global database
  --menutest                Perform menu generation test run only
  --track <menu-id>         Track menu id for debug purposes
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: How to regenerate (kde) menus

Postby avkward » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48

$ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

No, this didn't help at all. It did spit lots of curses though, if it says something to you I'd be glad to hear it: http://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/11777

$ kbuildsycoca4 --menutest

This actually generated pretty nice menu list (apart from curses again) and it even recognized torcs:

$ kbuildsycoca4 --menutest 2>/dev/null | grep torcs
Games/  torcs-torcs.desktop     /usr/share/applications/torcs-torcs.desktop

Sadly, menus still won't change. And yes, I tried those other kbuildsycoca4 options as well.

What somewhat helped though is a strange idea Google finally bestowed on me - to remove ~/.config/menus/ (I actually backup'ed it). Now I see all (I think) my games in KDE menu, the only remaining annoyance is that Games section still has only those five default (?) subsections, all other nodes are created directly under Games "directory". Even though in /usr/share/applications/torcs-torcs.desktop it clearly mentions SportsGame subsection.
avkward
Baby Hen

Re: How to regenerate kde menus

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:32

Hm, I removed KDE on my sabayon installation, but maybe it works cross-distro though.

Try this: Right-click Kicker (K-Menu icon) and choose "edit menu entries" (or something like this. I haven't English naming here). Then you could change the menu as you like.
Read on here The KDE Menu Editor Handbook.

Regards, Ryuno-Ki
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Re: How to regenerate kde menus

Postby avkward » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:08

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Try this: Right-click Kicker (K-Menu icon) and choose "edit menu entries" (or something like this. I haven't English naming here). Then you could change the menu as you like.

It's called "Edit Applications" and I actually thought it has something to do with panel itself, but it works, thanks!
avkward
Baby Hen

Re: How to regenerate kde menus [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38

Sure, manual editing of the KDE Menu is always an option, but that doesn't explain why the automatic population of the menu doesn't work in your case.

BTW, 'Kicker' was the name of the default KDE 3 launcher; the default launcher in KDE 4 is called 'Kickoff'. You might want to try an alternative KDE 4 launcher such as Lancelot, Takeoff or Homerun. They're all Plasmoids so can be installed on the Panel or desktop. I use both Lancelot and Takeoff on the Panel as they have their strengths and weaknesses, but I prefer them to Kickoff in any case.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 19:36

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Sure, manual editing of the KDE Menu is always an option, but that doesn't explain why the automatic population of the menu doesn't work in your case.

I searched a bit and found this post, which could explain the problem (just screened).

Fitzcarraldo wrote:BTW, 'Kicker' was the name of the default KDE 3 launcher; the default launcher in KDE 4 is called 'Kickoff'.

I changed the view to "Classic mode", so for me it looks like Kicker :)
But thanks for clarifying.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 14:33

avkward, something else comes to mind: Have you tried running the KDE Menu Updating Tool (KAppfinder)? It should be in the KDE menu (Kickoff > Settings > Menu Updating Tool) but, if it isn't, you can launch it from the command line thus:

$ kappfinder

KAppfinder
The application finder looks for non-KDE applications on your system and adds them to the KDE menu system. Click 'Scan' to begin, select the desired applications and then click 'Apply'.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:29

Newish install and I don't have KAppfinder installed, Rigo doesn't pick it up and it doesn't show up in the package search. Not quite sure what happened to it.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:54

Yes, I can confirm this.
But I also find this package in portage (using the command app-portage/pfl - be careful, because there's no documentation available) :
$ e-file kappfinder
 *  kde-base/kappfinder
        Available Versions:     4.0.5-r0 4.0.3-r0 4.0.2-r0 4.0.1-r0 3.5.9-r0 3.5.8-r0 3.5.7-r0 3.5.5-r0 3.5.10-r0 3.4.1 4.2.96-r0 4.3.5-r0 4.2.4-r0 4.4.9999-r0 4.2.3-r0 4.3.90-r0 4.1.2-r0 4.3.85-r0 4.3.3 4.3.4-r0 4.4.0 4.3.3-r0 4.4.4 4.3.2-r0 4.4.3 4.3.67-r0 4.3.5 9999-r0 4.4.3-r0 4.3.65-r0 4.4.2-r0 4.3.1-r0 4.4.1-r0 4.3.61-r0 4.4.0-r0 4.3.0-r0 4.3.98-r0 4.2.98-r0 4.3.95-r0                       
        Matched Files:          /usr/kde/4.0/bin/kappfinder; /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kappfinder; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kappfinder; /usr/bin/kappfinder;

so it's just not in entropy. Maybe someone should fill a "feature request" :-)
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area