Reverse Kernel Screw Up

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Reverse Kernel Screw Up

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04

I was reading the HOWTO: Upgrade kernel using Entropy and going through it, absent mindedly, at the terminal, got to: eselect kernel set 2 (3.7.0) >> equo query installed XXXXX > kernel-upgrade.txt and trying to read file less kernel-upgrade.txt .....didn't get anywhere and shut the terminal down, not thinking.

Went to reboot later and realised there was problem when the whole thing froze black with different colours (graphics). So I went into the advanced grub2 menu options and saw Kernel 3.7.0 at the top of the list and 3.5.0 below it. Selected 3.5.0 and booted back into the system without problem (I'm here now).

How do I undo / erase the now default Kernel 3.7.0 option? You know, make 3.5.0 (the one that works) default. So I can boot normally with it (instead of having to go into the advanced menu).

Thanks.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Re: Reverse Kernel Screw Up

Postby dave_64 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30

If you have nvidia video card, you need to install the nvidia drivers that match the kernel. First set the kernel to whatever you want, then install the nvidia driver with the appropriate kernel tag.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49

I was reading the "Using Kernel Switcher" wiki at the same time I was doing the other. lol.

All I originally wanted to do was trim the kernel I had down, because the boot time isn't great and seems to be significant pausing while it looks up keyboard settings and the like. I'm trying to tighten things up.

I'm not on a laptop by the way and it's an ATI radeon 5000 series card. So what are you saying, go back through: https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... l_Switcher and do it again?
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 13:13

I found the 3.7-r3 in Rigo and removed it. Back to generic kernel 3.5.0 and how it was.

Now to see if I can figure this out and do it cleanly. I need to get some snap in this boot.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Johnny Who » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:26

Why don`t you use genkernel instead?
First, install it with
Code: Select all
equo install genkernel

Then, install the 3.7 kernel sources.
equo install sabayon-sources

After that, issue the command
genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --menuconfig --lvm --splash=sabayon --kerneldir=/path/to/sources

Omit lvm if you don `t use (You need it if you used the default partitioning scheme), and replace /path/to/sources with your sources directory, somewhere in /usr/src .
This will drop you to a menu interface and through this you can start messing tings up. That is, you can enable or disabled kernel features. For instance, if you know exactly which hardware you have installed, you can disale everything else. I suggest that you dropped support for exotic partitioning schems (actively, msdos is thee on you use, 99.99%) and exotic filesystems such as zfs and xfs and stuff.
It can take practice until you get it right. Don `t try to use the chainsaw, that is, disabling to many feaatures or you will end up with your very own unbootable kernel. :bom: If that happens, just boot your old one and try again. If you get fed up with it (it happens :alien: ) just use kernel-switcher instead.

P.S.: Come on, lxnay, make sabayon boot faster with the default setup :cheese: ... For example, why those 10 secs waiting for input before boot??? :alien:
Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 21:10

Didn't know about genkernel, or the above, Johnny Who. But it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks very much.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:02

Johnny Who wrote:
P.S.: Come on, lxnay, make sabayon boot faster with the default setup :cheese: ... For example, why those 10 secs waiting for input before boot??? :alien:

edit "GRUB_TIMEOUT=10" in /etc/default/grub

then update grub
#`grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

:bom:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Johnny Who » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:46

I do not mean that, I am talking about that on initrd.
Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area