Very first update broke my system!! [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

vikrang
Baby Hen

Very first update broke my system!! [Solved]

Post by vikrang » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:02

I downloaded Sabayon from the site (KDE Version) . It installed beautifully and as explained in the wiki , I ran equo install entropy rigo and ran equo conf update ...Then after updating , I ran equo upgrade as Magneto reported about 476 package upgrades! The download went on for a long time and about 1.3 GB was downloaded ( Hmm 2.1 GB + addl 1.3 GB thats a concern as it is eating away my broadband subscription!)

The upgrade finished successfully (upgraded from KDE 4.9.00 to 4.9.4)and when I rebooted , the system is unbootable . I notice the following behaviour

1. The system stops at the stage "Waiting for uevents to get processed". Takes about a min (abt 36%) and goes to next few steps

2. System stops again at "Checking if Zfs User space tools are present (who cares abt zfs anyway!) which is again a big wait for 2 min!

Then I am forced to run Alt+F1 till I am able to access console.

I tried eselect opengl and set my driver to nvidia . Didnt work . later I removed nvidia and ran modprobe nouveau. When I started only 2 rectangular boxes woth 2 terminals appeared.. Then nothing works and I have to reboot

I have not done a kernel upgrade and am sticking with stock kernel 3.5

Help!

vikrang
Baby Hen

[SOLVED]Re: Very first update broke my system!!

Post by vikrang » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24

Well I finally managed to solve the issue !. All the errors were due to Nvidia. While updating Nvidia was upgraded to 310 version (latest). For my particular card , Geoforce 7025 , I knew the earlier one worked , so I downgraded to 304 correspondiing to the kernel 3.5.

Then I ran Xorg -configure , After that , I was able to boot into the system , but still the resolution was only 1024*768 , So I had to tinker /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add the Mode 1368*768 which is my native resolution and post that the system looks as fresh as ever

Only thing is I get 2 pending updates for Nvidia 310 ...But I wont be updating the same!

A gr8 way to start the New Year ! :D

geeksoldier
Baby Hen

Re: Very first update broke my system!!

Post by geeksoldier » Tue Jan 01, 2013 14:13

Vikrang, in order to ensure that the new drivers will not get pulled in an update, you can set a mask with "equo mask >XXX" where x is the driver that works for you.

dave_64
Advanced Hen

Re: Very first update broke my system!!

Post by dave_64 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:14

Vikrang, here is the deluxe version of how to fix the video driver problem permanently:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=28654