Booting black screen [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Booting black screen [Solved]

Postby coa » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:25

Hi, I have problem with booting SabayonLinux 10 amd64 Xfce. If I use Alt+F2 and F2 (verbose mode), Sabayon start normaly with desktop, but if i wait loading progress bar after finishing loading I get a black screen. Sabayon is on notebook Acer 5738zg with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570.
Last edited by coa on Sat Dec 29, 2012 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
coa
Baby Hen

Re: Booting black screen

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28

Gonna have to check the log files to see what is going on.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby coa » Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:29

Log files of Xorg or something else, what to post? I think the problem is in stage "Wait for graphical configuration to finish.", after this stage I got a black screen. Maybe Sabayon do this configuration in other way when is in verbose mode.
coa
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:38

Have a look in /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors files.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby coa » Fri Dec 28, 2012 22:26

I look in these logs and there is no errors and unusual messages. I tried one more thing, when I got black screen I enter username and password and pressed enter, after that hard disk is working and loading, but again without desktop, only black screen. I can't every time when loading Sabayon to press F2 for verbose mode, is not functional. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
coa
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:52

Is that installation using the open-source Radeon driver? The problem could be caused by the order that udev is loading modules. It is possible to change the order but, as far as I know, it's a pain: you have to blacklist them and then add the list of modules to /etc/conf.d/modules in the order of loading desired.

Please post the output of the following commands issued as root user in a Konsole/Terminal window:

Code: Select all
lsmod
lspci -k
cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
cat /etc/conf.d/modules
cat /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby coa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 17:20

coa
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:13

Open a Konsole/Terminal window, log-in as root user, make a backup of the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg as follows:

cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak

and then use the nano editor to remove the "radeon.modeset=1" from the kernel boot line in /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then reboot to see if it makes a difference.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby coa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:02

Nothing, same problem with or without "radeon.modeset=1". :?
coa
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:05

Something is wrong with the SL Installer. I had a similar problem to you recently when I installed SL on an Acer Aspire 5536, but I can't recall precisely what I did to get it working. If I recall correctly, I followed the procedure in the article Getting rid of Catalyst to get to a login screen rather than a black screen, but then I put everything back to its original state and it still worked! Go figure! So you could try that.

If that doesn't work, something else to try (or perhaps try it before you try the above):

The comment inserted by the SL Installer in /etc/conf.d/modules looks incorrect:

# Added by the Sabayon Installer to force radeon.ko to load
# since CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not enabled by default at
# this time.
modules="radeon"
module_radeon_args="modeset=1"

because the configuration file for the SL 3.7 kernel (and 3.6 kernel) contains:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

so revert to your original grub.cfg but change "radeon.modeset=1" to "radeon.modeset=0" and change module_radeon_args="modeset=1" to module_radeon_args="modeset=0" in /etc/conf.d/modules too.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area