New install- no flash player

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New install- no flash player

Postby pottzie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25

I've just installed and updated Sabayon. I can't play video, and I think i saw flash-player during the system update. Also haven't found how to install Firefox, closest I've come is " emerge mozilla-firefox," and that hasn't worked. Google hasn't helped with the video or Firefox, and I didn't see it in the wiki.
pottzie
Young Hen

Re: New install- no flash player

Postby theGrandSoup » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05

Hello pottzie, which installation image did you install from?
The GNOME, MATE, XFCE, KDE and LXDE flavours should all have video players accessible through their menu.

As for Firefox, you can use Rigo the graphical package manager to find it, or Equo, the the command line tool.

For Rigo, have a quick look at this page. It is a nice application!
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Rigo

For Equo, the command
Code: Select all
equo install firefox
Should find firefox-17.0-r1 and install it.

I am installing Firefox (with Rigo) in a new virtual machine now to discover the state of Flash player for you, will update shortly.

Ok, Firefox installed, went to Youtube and there were were messages about a missing plugin.
I closed Firefox, open Rigo again, searched for "Adobe Flash", there is a single result, the Adobe Flash Player.
I installed it, opened Firefox again, went back to Youtube and now I am watching a video of a cat. Purrfect!
This was using the CDX iso, which starts with less software, I expect the main ones already have Flash player.
I'm new here too, does this help?
Last edited by theGrandSoup on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58, edited 1 time in total.
theGrandSoup
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:43

theGrandSoup wrote:Should find firefox-16.0.2 and install it.

Just for the record: Firefox 17 was rolled out over night ;)
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46

pottzie, additionally, please read the SL Wiki article Entropy.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pottzie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:01

Thanks to everyone for replying so soon, I was surprised at the speedy responses. I have the Gnome version. I also discovered that I have Adobe, as I found out as I was trying to find how to open Rigo form the Application drop-down menu. Now that I have Firefox (ver. 17, yup) I tried Youtube, and no dice. Checking Firefox for "about:plugins" shows application/x-shockwave-flash and application/futuresplash, but no video in Firefox or Chromium.

This seems to be a common problem in Linux lately. I've tried Slackware, Bodhi Linux and others recently that can't get video working no matter what I try. I've copied libflashplayer.so to ~/mozilla/plugins, with sketchy results. Some videos play, others don't. Fedora and Ubuntu work, although I can't verify Ubuntu (and don't care too!), but I have Linux Mint 14 and Fedora on other computers,and video isn't an issue. Maybe everyone should just slip Clem (from Linux Mint) a few kegs of whatever makes him happy and use whatever he does? Seems like if it were that simple everyone would be doing that, though. And as much garbage as Ubuntu slaps on, I doubt that developers would be too keen on going that route.
pottzie
Young Hen

Postby pottzie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 23:35

It's been a couple of days and no further responses on this, so I'll post this before my video post turns into bubbles floating on the surface of lake Sabayon.

First, as I look over the other topics, I seem to be the only person experiencing this. Apparently everyone else has video working perfectly, or the page would be full of nothing but "My video won't play" posts. Good news for everyone else, bad news for me. Wonder what I did (or didn't ) do. I do know that since this was my first time installing Sabayon, and it was all new to me, I went straight to getting video working, and chose "Download" instead of the "install directly" option. It was new to me, and I shot first and asked questions later. I did uninstall and re-install Adobe, and it is listed in "about:plugins" by Firefox.

I looked at the Firefox plugins file in /usr/lib/Mozzilla/plugins. It's an empty file, nothing is there. Is that the way it's supposed be? And does video work on the live DVD? I tried it, and it didn't for me before I installed it.

When I booted into Saybayon the first time, Chromium crashed as soon as I tried to load a page. Some pages would load, and I was able to find enough information to update Sabayon for the first time, and that got Chromium and everything else working, except for the video problem I'm having. I mention this as a weak excuse for not understanding that I needed to "install directly'" for the Adobe problem. And as a final thought, isn't Google supposed to play video without Adobe, with html 5 ? Can't happen fast enough.

Thanks for the help.
pottzie
Young Hen

Postby theGrandSoup » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57

Nice to see you are still around Pottzie, a lack of Flash is certainly a bother. I tried a few more times to lose my ability to play flash videos but I can't make it stick. Admittedly, I didn't try with Gnome.
However, running a live MATE session, using the Midori browser, without updating packages but after installing Adobe Flash Player with the Rigo application browser, I could again watch cat videos at multiple frames/second.

pottzie wrote: I looked at the Firefox plugins file in /usr/lib/Mozzilla/plugins. It's an empty file, nothing is there. Is that the way it's supposed be?
I don't even have a /usr/lib/mozila folder, although /usr/lib/firefox/plugins does contain/link to my java/flash/totem plugins.

pottzie wrote: And as a final thought, isn't Google supposed to play video without Adobe, with html 5 ? Can't happen fast enough.
I'm not sure whether you mean Google's Youtube or Chrome products, or the Chromium browser.
Youtube can serve some videos in html5, but I find it keeps defaulting back to the Flash player version, even in the sans-advertising videos. It is accessed through the "Try something new!" link at the bottom of Youtube pages.
Chrome usually comes with a built in version of the Adobe Flash Player that auto-updates, but Chrome isn't available to Sabayon yet.
Chromium uses an external Flash Player plugin that usually works fine. Sometimes it conflicts with Nvidia drivers and makes all the videos blue, but you haven't mentioned that yet :)

As is common to operating systems, it is useful to read installation guides and understand package management before downloading anything. I prefer to update a new system before doing anything else, getting the bug fixes before discovering the bugs.

To get a clear idea of your situation, you can't load any flash objects (ads, games or videos) in either Firefox or Chromium, while both browsers acknowledge the plugin (chrome through chrome://plugins )?
theGrandSoup
Baby Hen

Postby pottzie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:53

Thanks for the reply, GS. I'm pretty sure I have Mate, it's a ringer for gome2. I hadn't seen /usr/lib/firefox, and yes, that's where the libflashplayer.so file is. Google does show it under chrome://plugins, and selecting "try something new," made html5 work in Youtube. But nothing plays on other sites.
pottzie
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area