Accidently removed KDE+KDM [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Accidently removed KDE+KDM [Solved]

Postby fire_dragon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:02

Dear friends,
I was very smart today, and because my audio had a problem, I tried to remove pulseaudio via Rigo to install it again.

Somehow of course I didn't check anything and just blindly clicked OK and it removed KDE and KDM and many other stuff.

So now it will boot up, shos me a white bordered login screen which is not the normal KDM login screen, and if I try to login as user or root, it will not send me to command prompt, but it will just always turn back to the login screen.

At the command prompt I would be able to reinstall something, where actually I don't know what it all uninstalled.

Can I fix my installation of Sabayon, or do I need to install it from scratch?

Thank you.
Last edited by fire_dragon on Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:30, edited 3 times in total.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Re: Accidently removed KDE+KDM

Postby Stupot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 18:47

As root:
Code: Select all
equo install kdebase-meta

That should get you kde back.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:50

I logged into Sabayon recovery mode.

Then I get the command line, but I have no write permission to do anything.

I think I don't have a internet connection either, because ping doesn't succeed.

When I try to do
equo install kdebase-meta

invalid file system encoding ANSI_X3.4-1968, must UTF-8.
Make sure to set LC_ALL, LANG, LANGUAGE to valid UTF-8.
Please execute:
  LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/bin/equo install kdebase-meta
 Cannot automatically recover from this.

How should I proceed now to get my writing permission as root?
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 16:25

Hmm, you've got yourself into a state where you can't install things, and chances are there a lot of things missing.

Truthfully, and I don't recommend this very often, it would probably be easier and faster to reinstall from Sabayon 10.

If you really don't want to do that and have a second computer, I recommend jumping on IRC ( https://www.sabayon.org/chat ) and talking with people there. They are going to need a lot of information from you to figure out what is going on.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 19:37

OK, I installed Sabayon again, I have my /home dir on a separate partition, so I mounted my old /home back and installed Sabayon to / and /boot clean. Then I updated rigo entrophy equo mc, then updated the kernel to 3.6-r3. Rebooted and everything was running OK. Then Rigo did his update with like 330 updated, after that the reboot was unsuccessful. I land on a command lone, log in as root and have no write permissions again. I cannot do # equo update, X doesn't start and I cannot do anything like before. I don't know what is the problem. Could it be something is wrong with my /home partition? But it worked nicely before Rigo did his standard update. Mainly the problem is that I have no write permission again. Looking with midnight commander I can see the file sturctures.

How should I proceed?
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:25

I reinstalled everything including a clean /home partition and copied manually some data from the old /home like thunderbird and a few programs which contain personal information, but I changed the KDE and system settings by hand.

There was maybe a problem with the KDE settings in the first place, not sure what.

Now it works fine. I wouldn't call the problem itself solved, but I'll mark it solved.

Thanks for helping.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area