Removing a package

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Removing a package

Postby dotslash » Fri Nov 02, 2012 17:49

I tried to run VVVVVV in the terminal and it tells me it is missing libjpeg.so.62, so I try to figure out which package it needs. I install what I think might be it: media-libs/jpeg-8c which doesn't work instead it was media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9.
So I decide to remove media-libs/jpeg-8c, but equo or rigo tells me they need to uninstall 306 packages which I'm pretty sure will break the system.
How do I unistall media-libs/jpeg-8c without breaking everything?
dotslash
Baby Hen

Re: Removing a package

Postby Stupot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:18

Firstly, are you sure that media-libs/jpeg-8c wasn't already installed on your system? equo has no problem reinstalling packages without letting you know you are doing so.

There is certainly a way to do it, similar to the --nodeps flag for installing packages, I just can't think of it off hand.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby dotslash » Fri Nov 02, 2012 20:04

equo said it wasn't installed. I tried --nodeps but it seemed to mess things up untill I reinstalled media-libs/jpeg-8c.
/confused

I wonder if it was installed part of sabayonweekly instead of sabayonlinux.org repository....
but wouldn't it be updated when running #equo upgrade --ask ?
dotslash
Baby Hen

Postby Asimov » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:14

You probably break your system if you remove it. Something libraries exists in 2 version: proprietary and open-source.
Older packages forced sometime the package-manager the removal the open-source version and installation of the proprietary one. The opposite situation exist too. For the creator of packaging tools, theses duplicates are a real pain in the ...

Removing media-libs/jpeg-8c, will probably remove support for the jpeg format.
Asimov
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area