Kernel 3.6+ X.org Mesa 9.0-devel ATI Driver = cool [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Kernel 3.6+ X.org Mesa 9.0-devel ATI Driver = cool [Solved]

Postby videOMoviEShine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56

Hi,

here a little advice to all "advanced Newbies" ... like me ... :cry: struggeling last days, to get new fglrx Drivers working on a AMD (Ati) Firepro V4900 Workstation OpenGL Video Card.

I could not believe in the beginning ... !! with new Kernels from 3.6 up, how is posted as important Information for ATi Video Card Users : Gallium Mesa 9.0-devel Driver seems to me more stable then 12.8, 12.10 and 12.6 fglrx Drivers / AMD !! = Ixnay makes really a great job (!!)

...meanwhile this PCIe 2.1 Video Card is a Ati 6xxx DirectX 11 Hardware ...anyway not a Gamer Card but OpenGL optimized ...= "on the paper" certified for Linux (!) but now with new inbuild KMS Kernel Stack PCIe 2.0 Support on OpenSource VideoDriver ++full OpenGL Extensions ++ DRI ++GLX ++ = ... ""yeaahh""

Ciao ciao "closed" trouble Drivers !! :roll: = until Kernel 3.5 ok ... but seems to me in future more like Mesa + Gallium +Dri +... = openmind = out of the box stable + beautyDesktop ++ (open)GL on Sabayon KDE 10 Bleeding Edge Linux again !! There is confusion featuring some Propetierary Drivers (Ati) ...it is not easy somehow for "Newbies" to find short and clear information how to get fgrlx to run ...

Some Wikis outdated, Gentoo Wikis are long, some are very good ...too long for Beginners, 3 times i broke my System touching "Meta - Atoms" using Portage needs knowledge ! ... Anyway ...now i started on a separate Harddisk my first steps compiling from Source using "Calculate Linux" = as overlay 100 % Gentoo compatible !! faszination for me + State of Art Linux.

...Sabayon works for me "as is" = out of the box "opensource" Multimedia/Workstation Pinguin ... understanding now better the idea behind = new Kernels ++ new "Open" Drivers ...= silent + stable (until) Wayland is ready ... maybe (?) in future Nvidia (Ati) start to cooperate more with Linux Developement ?? ... they know (??) that it is also future business = i bought this AMD Firepro because there was a "certified for Linux" Pinguin Icon on the Package ...

... a bit "crazy" for me to see how they "blow down" with this new Drivers a "good hardware" that it is ++ indeed
I want to say "big thanks" to Sabayon Linux !! Sorry the bandwith i used last weeks ! Anyway ... i am artist + very happy i made the change Windows towards Sabayon Linux ... As long i can't give money, sorry, but in future i hope some good ideas /articles /artworks + "Eye|Catching" Desktop Builds for the Community ...

Cool ... i am "dancing a bit out the row" :bom: again in this forum ... but learned a lot last days/weeks :idea: always managed (failed) by myself :mrgreen: thats life ... i see the need of work on Wikis explaining Linux ... in the meaning towards more "KISS" prinzip = simplify ... if you are new to something you maybe can explain with words so everyone can understand easy ... my english = not the best but in native German "LANG" people like my writing ...

Now ...i don't want to drop out here completely ... it is a forum ... so my first "big question" ... and if answered = "Solved" marked here:

How can i transfer safely, checksum controlled Software Packages from one Installation to next ...featuring for me a first start with "Calculate Linux" ... learning build from Source + install later into my Sabayon Desktop ... without hazzle and security issues ?? Dreaming of my own "growing" repository ...some days later in future ... actual to avoid using too much Server bandwith ?? ...

Thanks for competent and "KISS"easy information :)

Ciao
Last edited by videOMoviEShine on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46, edited 1 time in total.
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Location: ..o). I love BERLIN .(o.. ..o). BERLIN loves You.(o..

Re: Kernel 3.6+ X.org Mesa 9.0-devel ATI Driver = cool + !!

Postby joost » Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:26

TL;DR

What?
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:30

Hi,

back again, sorry my delay. Now i reinstalled on another harddisk Sabayon 10 KDE again, Calculate Linux i deleted, it is not safe to use. The opensource Drivers on Kernel 3.6 are good in 2D, but not useable for some program like video-editing, because of 3D power. So, i dont manage to switch to fglrx drivers because i don't understand (sorry) how to add safely !! "nomodeset" to the boot parameters. When i open "/etc/default/grub" with kwrite and change "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset" i can't safe it. I am afraid now making a mistake again !! I know that i have to, after changing Grub Commandline, execute as root in commandline "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" to update grub in my separate "/boot" partition.

Thanks for help :-)
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:37

If you are looking to replace the open source radeon drivers with fglrx, then this short guide might help you:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=28275#p154472
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:49

Thanks for quick responding :-)

Okay i looked at viewtopic.php?f=86&t=28275#p154472. Now you suggest using the 12.6 fglrx Driver ? "Open as root /etc/default/grub" how can i do that? as root? sorry, seems maybe stupid, but that is, what i don't understand.
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:54

I meant to use it as a reference, whether you should use the 12.6 or the latest ATI driver version depends on your specific video card model, the 12.6 has to be used for legacy ATI cards.
To open a file as root you must open it with a text editor having root priviledges.
If you are using KDE, open a console and run:
Code: Select all
kdesu kwrite /etc/default/grub

If you are using GNOME:
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

If you want to open it directly in a console run:
su
nano /etc/default/grub
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:02

that is a good answer that i can understand :D
I try now the whole procedere and hope to be back soon with working fglrx and can write: (Solved).

Ciao
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:11

If your card is supported by the latest ATI drivers, you can avoid installing the legacy version, if I understood correctly from your first post, I suspect your card is supported by the latest version.
You can thus avoid the mask step and install the latest version, using:
(as root)
equo install ati-drivers

All the rest should be the same.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:51

Hi again,

something went wrong. When i started
it crashed. I used then nano, never tried before, this is my "grub.save":

# Copyright 1999-2012 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.default-2,v 1.2 2012/06/28 22:36:53 floppym Exp $
#
# To populate all changes in this file you need to regenerate your
# grub configuration file afterwards:
#     'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg'
#
# See the grub info page for documentation on possible variables and
# their associated values.

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Sabayon"

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal.
# Note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE.
# You can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'.
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

# Path to theme spec txt file.
# The starfield is by default provided with use truetype.
# NOTE: when enabling custom theme, ensure you have required font/etc.
#GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt"

# Background image used on graphical terminal.
# Can be in various bitmap formats.
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/default-splash.png"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to kernel
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

# Boot menu option normal color
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="white/black"

# Boot menu option "highlight" color
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"

if [ -f "/etc/default/sabayon-grub" ]; then
   # this file is placed by the Sabayon Installer and contains
   # custom GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX parameters created at install
   # time.
   . /etc/default/sabayon-grub
fi

I could not find a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Very strange. So i changed etc/make.conf , according to actual Gentoo Wiki ... this is my "make.conf.save":

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example

# Compiler stuff
GRAPHITE="-floop-interchange -ftree-loop-distribution -floop-strip-mine -floop-block"
# Only enable Graphite via package.env
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe" # -ftree-vectorize ${GRAPHITE}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j16 -s"

# Portage stuff
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
FEATURES="ccache parallel-fetch protect-owned splitdebug noinfo"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
CCACHE_DIR="/var/ccache"

LINGUAS="en en_US af ar az bg bn br bs ca cs cy da de el en_GB eo es et eu fa fi fr fy ga gl he hi hr hu is it ja kk km ko lt lv mk mn ms nb nds nl nn pa pl pt pt_BR ro ru rw se sk sl sr [email protected] ss sv ta tg tr uk uz vi zh_CN zh_TW es_AR es_ES fy_NL ga_IE gu gu_IN nb_NO nn_NO pt_PT sv_SE zh"

## USE ARRAYS ##
SAB_BAD="-kdeprefix -arts -qt3 -beagle -gnome -evo -mono -eds -apm -oss -branding -esd"
SAB_MEDIA="musicbrainz sdl pulseaudio wmf fame cdr dvi mp3rtp xine cddb alsa dvb dvd network dvdread ipod audiofile artswrappersuid dvdr jack dri cdda mjpeg mmx joystick xvmc cpudetection v4l v4l2"
SAB_CODECS="x264 gsm lame dv mp3 stream live openal theora ogg a52 win32codecs matroska xvid flac ffmpeg aac speex real dts musepack"
SAB_SYSTEM="cjk unicode gnutls nptl gcj udev kerberos acl dbus bash-completion lzo rar policykit xcb bzip2 bidi wifi lm_sensors acpi usb pcmcia bluetooth irda ieee1394 perl python"
SAB_FILESYS="fat hfs jfs xfs ntfs reiserfs sysfs inotify"
SAB_PRINT="cups ppds foomatic-db gimpprint freetype xprint scanner"
SAB_XSYS="cairo X opengl png gif gtk qt4 qt3support xpm tiff xinerama aiglx svg gphoto2 dga lcd openexr"
SAB_DESKTOP="kdehiddenvisibility gmp libnotify rdesktop pda zeroconf kdeenablefinal visualization avahi startup-notification accessibility"
SAB_BROWSER="nsplugin firefox mozdevelop xulrunner"
SAB_COMMS="jabber msn yahoo icq irc aim rss slp mail imap"

USE="${SAB_BAD} ${SAB_MEDIA} ${SAB_CODECS} ${SAB_SYSTEM} ${SAB_FILESYS} ${SAB_PRINT} ${SAB_XSYS} ${SAB_DESKTOP} ${SAB_BROWSER} ${SAB_COMMS}"   

## DEVICES ##
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev void"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
LIRC_DEVICES="audio audio_alsa serial pctv"
ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1x darla20 darla24 emu10k1 gina20 gina24 hdsp hdspm ice1712 indigo indigoio layla20 layla24 mia mixart mona pcxhr rme32 rme96 sb16 sbawe sscape usbusx2y vx222 usb-usx2y"
CAMERAS="agfa_cl20 casio_qv dimagev dimera3500 kodak_dc120 kodak_dc210 kodak_dc240 kodak_dc3200 kodak_ez200 konica_qm150 panasonic_coolshot panasonic_dc1000 panasonic_dc1580 panasonic_l859 polaroid_pdc320 polaroid_pdc640 polaroid_pdc700 ricoh_g3 sipix_blink sipix_blink2 sipix_web2 sony_dscf1 sony_dscf55 toshiba_pdrm11 adc65 aox barbie canon clicksmart310 digigr8 digita directory enigma13 fuji gsmart300 hp215 iclick jamcam jd11 konica largan lg_gsm mars mustek pccam300 pccam600 ptp2 ricoh samsung sierra smal sonix soundvision spca50x sq905 stv0674 stv0680 sx330z template"

## OFFICE ##
LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer pdfimport wiki-publisher"

## QEMU ##
QEMU_USER_TARGETS="alpha arm armeb cris i386 m68k microblaze mips mipsel ppc ppc64 ppc64abi32 sh4 sh4eb sparc sparc32plus sparc64 x86_64"
QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="x86_64 arm cris i386 m68k microblaze mips mips64 mips64el mipsel ppc ppc64 ppcemb sh4 sh4eb sparc sparc64"

## PORTAGE CONFIG ##
source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
CONFIG_PROTECT="/usr/share/config/kdm /etc /etc/conf.d /etc/init.d"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/skel"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
APACHE2_MPMS="prefork"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirrors.tera-byte.com/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mirrors/gentoo/ http://archive.mmu.edu.my/gentoo rsync://gentoo.bloodhost.ru/gentoo-distfiles ftp://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/gentoo/ rsync://mirror.neolabs.kz/gentoo http://ftp.gentoo.bg/ http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/gentoo/"

## FUCK KILL PYTHON 3 WITH FIRE ##
# Avoids python.eclass to compile stuff for Python 3
USE_PYTHON="2.7"
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

# Some more forced targets
PHP_TARGETS="php5-3"
RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19"

# Apache suEXEC default UMASK
# See bug 3544
SUEXEC_UMASK=022

The correct actual Driver for my VideoCard according AMD Webpage :
http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownload/f ... linux.aspx

I downloaded and installed with Rigo:
12.8#3.6.0-sabayon~0
and
Amdcccle 12.8~0

On Kernel 3.5.7 with "Sabayon 10 KDE Daily .iso 29.09.2012" this was working fine:
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.8#3.5.0-sabayon

Showed me in Catalyst Pro Control Center same like AMD Homepage:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/f ... ev=8.982.2

Now, i am confused, altough i dont know, if Gentoo Guide to fglrx Drivers is meaning just to use in Portage ?? Anyway, i want to stay on Entropy Sabayon. Little detail beside: On "Calculate Linux" with Kernel 3.5.4 (Gentoo) it offered me ATI 12.6 Driver, but it was not working really good. So, is the only way to switch back to Kernel 3.5.7 ??

Somehow, now i am completely confused, sorry ... :?
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 22:41

Just a couple of pointers:

If you are planning on using entropy, don't change /etc/make.conf.

Also, for the open source graphics cards, you don't need an /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After you install the proprietary drivers, it should exist.

However, you really aren't being very clear as to the state of your system.

I am sort of confused as to everything you are doing. You already had the proprietary drivers working for the 3.5 kernel. Going to the 3.6 should be as easy as using the kernel-switcher script and checking the grub file (and changing the nomodset if necessary). No need to change make.conf, that is for building packages, which entropy has done for you.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area