Overheating Problem [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Overheating Problem [Solved]

Postby frafer90 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:03

Hi :-)
i've just installed Sabayon X (MATE) on my laptop and i'm facing a usual problem i have already had with many other
linux distros. My Dell Studio 1555 is overheated. I used to solve this problem simply installing ATI drivers for my
ATI RADEON HD 4800. But this time it doesn't seem to work.
I've tried to install them using
Code: Select all
sudo equo install ati-drivers

but the temperatures were still high... So i tried to install drivers from ATI websites but i get an error during
script installation and I can't understand it.
Furthermore, I used to have Sabayon 8 (GNOME 3) some months ago and in that case i haven't had any overheating
problem from the beginning...!

I hope there is someone who can help me
Thank you

PS
If i install ATI driver from the website I get 12.6 version. In the other way (sudo equo...) i get 12.8...Why??
Last edited by frafer90 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
frafer90
Baby Hen

Re: Overheating Problem

Postby micia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 16:52

Hi, welcome to the Sabayon Linux forums. :)

frafer90 wrote:My Dell Studio 1555 is overheated. I used to solve this problem simply installing ATI drivers for my
ATI RADEON HD 4800. But this time it doesn't seem to work.
I've tried to install them using
sudo equo install ati-drivers

but the temperatures were still high...

Did you also configure Sabayon to actually use them or did you just install them?

So i tried to install drivers from ATI websites but i get an error during
script installation and I can't understand it.

Manual installation from sources in Sabayon is discouraged and unsupported, moreover it is dangerous especially with drivers and similar packages. If you installed that package you should remove it as soon as possible and reinstall the Sabayon version. If a package available in the repositories doesn't work, you have the right of coming in the forums and ask for help or go in the bugzilla, but similar approaches could be really dangerous for your system.

Furthermore, I used to have Sabayon 8 (GNOME 3) some months ago and in that case i haven't had any overheating
problem from the beginning...!

This is because Sabayon used proprietary ATI drivers by default in that version, unfortunately ATI drivers progressively became harder to support out of the box, introducing various instabilities and pretty much conflicting with the open source radeon drivers. Since the radeon drivers have a wider range of compatibility with ATI cards and are generally more stable, the proprietary drivers are no more included by default in Sabayon and require manual installation.

If i install ATI driver from the website I get 12.6 version. In the other way (sudo equo...) i get 12.8...Why??

Either your card is considered legacy by AMD or they classify as stable an older version of the ATI drivers.
Anyway 12.6 version of the driver is available in Sabayon repository too.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 21:43

AMD dropped driver support for RADEON HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series cards starting with 12.7. For this reason, Sabayon offers a package called "x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6_beta_pre897" which will work for those cards, but technically isn't supported and will never have any updates for. This package will only work for a limited amount of time because package maintainers lacke the ability to make it work for new Xorg servers.

But for now, you should install x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6_beta_pre897 if you want the proprietary drivers, not x11-drivers/ati-drivers.

Yes, it sucks, but we're doing the best we can. We are not the only distro that is dealing with this issue. There is no great solution.

Make sure you remove the regular ati-drivers before installing this one.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby frafer90 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 0:33

Thank you for your kindness.
I have already removed the drivers I installed from ATI website. So...A pair of questions...

What do you mean when you said
Did you also configure Sabayon to actually use them or did you just install them?

micia?

And...Stupot...which command shall I give to install the package you're talking about? Do you think that this will solve my problem?

Sorry for my ignorance. :-)
Thank you
frafer90
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sat Oct 27, 2012 17:56

frafer90 wrote:Thank you for your kindness.
I have already removed the drivers I installed from ATI website. So...A pair of questions...

What do you mean when you said

micia?

I mean that you are still going to use the open source driver unless you set your system to use the proprietary ones, you should install the appropriate version before doing that, apparently your card works with the legacy drivers.

which command shall I give to install the package you're talking about? Do you think that this will solve my problem?

You must run:
(as root)
equo install ati-drivers-12.6_beta_pre897

To prevent any update to the newer version of the driver, run:
(as root)
equo mask '>ati-drivers-12.6_beta_pre897'

To set your system to use the proprietary drivers:

1) Open as root /etc/default/grub and edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

Then update GRUB menu:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

2) Remove the open source drivers:
(as root)
equo remove --configfiles xf86-video-ati

3) Set ATI opengl and opencl profiles:
(as root)
eselect opengl set ati
eselect opencl set amd

4) Set X to use fglrx, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, section "Device", set the Driver line as follows:
Driver "fglrx"

5) You should now reboot.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby frafer90 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 18:42

Thank you very much...!! It works! Now I shouldn't fear anything when I'll upgrade my system, do I?

You also solved my problem with the boot of the system...it seems... :)

Thank you...
I'll put SOLVED in the title...if I'm able to do it... :)
frafer90
Baby Hen

Re: Overheating Problem [Solved]

Postby micia » Sat Oct 27, 2012 20:41

If you masked the most recent versions of ATI drivers then no, you shouldn't fear anything and you should be able to upgrade anything you want.
I'm glad it helped.
micia
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area