Can't connect to the net [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Can't connect to the net [Solved]

Postby Mike the Bike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16

I tried to use Sabayon Xfce Live on USB on public computer with Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet, but I can't connect to the web. Tried manually, but still nothing (when saving manually, two eth0 connection appeared, when I deleted one of them, the second was gone too).

I tried several Distros and only a small number of them could connect on this computer (Puppy, latest Solus, Mint, Semplice). So, i was just wondering, should I try some other Distro or can this be fixed somehow?

Sabayon works much better (smoother) than Mint or most of the other ones on USB I tried so I think it is a keeper but I am no advanced user so I can't fix this by myself.
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Re: Can't connect to the net

Postby wolfden » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32

have you looked at our wiki? i thought there was a page on there about broadcom or try searching forum?

such as like:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26644
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Mike the Bike » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00

I successfully made a connection with:
modprobe -r broadcom
modprobe -r tg3
modprobe broadcom
modprobe tg3

I have just one more question (not a problem really, I just want to know):

I have put Sabayon on USB using LiveUSB Linux Creator. Size of home folder: 383 MB.
I have made a blank casper-rw 256 MB and rename it xsistence-mode. During boot, I expand it with xsistance xsistance_mb= to 900MB. Now, home folder grew to 2,1 GB, while xsistance-mode folder size is still 256 MB.

How did it get swollen to 2,1 GB (383 MB + 256 MB + 900 MB =1, 539 GB) and do I really have 2,1 GB available if the size of xsistance-mode has not changed at all?
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Postby Mike the Bike » Tue Sep 25, 2012 20:47

Since my previous post I tried several times to make Xsistence work on USB without success. Does Xsistance work only for installed Sabayon on computer + Home folder on USB or does it work for Live Sabayon and Home folder on USB also?

Because I cannot make it work on USB.
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30

not that I am aware of
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Mike the Bike » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07

Hmmm ... From the Wiki:

# Just have a previously formatted USB external disk (like a flash pen).
# A blank file called "xsistence-mode" on the root of the USB storage above.

I formatted USB as FAT (2 partitions) and put blank file as ext3 on the first one with Sabayon Live. That's OK, or should I try something else?

I have found only this solution (the last post at the bottom) for Gentoo, not Sabayon:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-882861.html

Will try some more and if it won't work I will just have to use some other Distro, I guess ...
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Postby Mike the Bike » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:28

I got a response from Sabayon team: Xsistence is not supported anymore ... Too bad ... (SOLVED)
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Re: Can't connect to the net [Solved]

Postby Mike the Bike » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21

Sorry, wolfden, just one more question.

Should I then just install Sabayon on USB? I presume that I should use ext2 since it doesn't have a journaling feature i.e. my stick would last longer that way ...
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53

Never done it myself, I just use the live version on usb. I myself don't have a need to save a USB session. I see posts of people doing it tho.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Mike the Bike » Thu Oct 25, 2012 20:25

I installed Sabayon on USB but Sabayon boots only in console mode. Reinstall - same problem. I have seen that someone couldn't boot Sabayon LIve DVD because of Radeon graphic card (I have ATI 9550) so I have changed boot parameters during boot (deleting vga=791, splash=..., video=...mttrr:3, splash to off, I have added xdriver=ati, vesa), but nothing-still can't boot normally. During boot some error about filesystem shows up but booting is to fast for me to be able to see what is all about.

I have no idea what to try next, so I guess I am convicted to Sabayon Live (or some other Distro).

Thanx for all your help and advice.
Mike the Bike
Young Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area