xorg.conf [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

nickdanger
Simple Hen

xorg.conf [Solved]

Post by nickdanger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:11

Hello,
This is one of those "things" were you go, "I have lost my mind." I had a custom xorg.conf file to support my (somewhat) eccentric LCD monitor. Today, I started up Sabayon as I normally would, and the screen resolution was wrong. So I checked my xorg.conf file, and it had reverted to a very generic form. I would think that it is impossible for xorg.conf to be altered without user intervention, but I am sure of the change and the result, and equally sure I did not ask for it. Does anybody know how my customized xorg.conf file could just vanish? I am (also) asking to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Thanks,
N.D.

AMD Phenom Quad core, 4 GB memory, 1TB hard drive, nvidia graphics, Sabayon 9 64 bit Gnome.
Last edited by nickdanger on Wed Jan 02, 2013 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

adsicks
Simple Hen

Re: xorg.conf

Post by adsicks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30

You shouldn't need an Xorg file with HAL gone... can you not set your resolution from the control panel in your window manager?

The only thing I know of that would change that file is equo conf update and not watching your merges...in which case there should be an xorg.conf.old.x file that contains a backup of your original...

nickdanger
Simple Hen

Re: xorg.conf

Post by nickdanger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 21:42

My eccentric monitor is now recognized correctly after a fresh install of version 10 - amd64 - Gnome. The correct native resolution now is available from the system settings application of my Gnome Desktop.