Numlockx [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

christophe60_fr
Baby Hen

Numlockx [Solved]

Post by christophe60_fr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19

Hi all,

Just arrived to Sabayon_Linux_9_amd64_Xfce and have a few quesions to ask.
Of course, I guess that answers are findable but I find this forum rather cluttered (and I have a tendency to laziness).

So, please :
How to activate the keypad automatically at boot knowing that numlockx is installed ?
How to create a new user (adduser doesn't work --> useradd ??) ?
How to correct time ?

I am surprised to find no graphical tool for these basic functions.

Many thanks.
Last edited by christophe60_fr on Mon Sep 03, 2012 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Jomiel
Growing Hen

Re: Numlockx

Post by Jomiel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 14:05

Hi and welcome to Sabayon-Forum,
I'm using Xfce too.
How to activate the keypad automatically at boot knowing that numlockx is installed ?
I don't know how I did this. It's a long time since I needed to do that. Doesn't remember Xfce this on it's own? Perhaps it doesn' occur to me because I'm using parts of the gnome settings.
How to create a new user (adduser doesn't work --> useradd ??) ?
Yes there is no graphical way to do this in Xfce and I'm perfectly fine with this. You don't do this in every session so a commandline-tool is fine for me. As you mentioned the command is useradd. You need to run it as root. The password for a new user can be set with passwd. For more information there are allways the man-pages.
How to correct time ?
I only needed to correct time once and I think I did it with hwclock. But I cant say for sure that it will do what you want.

cheers
Jomiel

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 15:19

Blame Xfce. If you had googled it, you would have found that these are not obvious in Xfce, whatever the distribution.

1. Numlock

Try: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#numlock

If the above does not do it on your machine, I don't use SL Xfce but I believe the DM the SL developer chose is LXDM, in which case you can set it (numlock=1) in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf

BTW, if the DM were SLIM (which is what I use with Xfce in Gentoo) then you could use: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM#Turning_on_numlock

EDIT: Even easier: see http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Numlock# ... E4.6_Users

2. Create new user

See: Re: How to add a new user in Xfce?

3. How to correct time

If your Xfce installation is not connected to the Internet, open a Terminal and use the Linux date command to change the date and time of the system clock, and hwclock --systohc to set the BIOS clock from it (see output of hwclock --help as root user). If your Xfce installation is connected to the Internet, see, e.g. Synchronise your Gentoo Linux clock with an Internet time server.

christophe60_fr
Baby Hen

Post by christophe60_fr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 20:54

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply (but better late than never, right ?).
In any case, thank you for everything : it works perfect now.