System Sounds? Sure would like them!

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

System Sounds? Sure would like them!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 13:23

Now all files that I play sound awesome crystal clear no kackles or gackles. All I ever get to hear from the system is error sounds so I thought maybe this OS just don't have any other sounds. Last night I was working on some other files(love themes and changing them!) when I took a detour to the the sounds folder. To may amazement there were more sounds than I heard in my life on an OS! We are talking some of the most awesome ogs you have ever heard! The sound that is supposed to play for boot up is incredible and would sure explain why the boot screen itself is not more sophisticated! Am not cutting down the boot screen, but lets face it this OS is hot and you would just figure a little more complex. Answers my question to that fact as is a feat I have yet to hear during boot that the sound is playing. Now to accomplish this, is quite an amazing feat!!! I am using the Gnome desktop and want to ask if any people out there using other desktops have privy to those sounds. I also want to ask how I can get those awesome sounds working. I am a bit old fashioned and enjoy hearing sounds! I even have clocks in the house that chime away every hour! As when I do tire of OS sounds I have no physical limitations preventing me from turning off the speakers either! Just seems since all these kernel changes these system sounds are getting lost in the dust. To my amazement seems like no one else cares either! Anyway I am also going through the arch linux sound setup wiki but would like some more advice as I really want those sounds to work! Is a shame for a developer to have such great sounds in a system and other programs deny it from happening!
BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Re: System Sounds? Sure would like them!

Postby Stupot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:03

KDE has start up and shut down sounds by default. I don't think there are any other sounds (such as opening a folder or navigating through menus) enabled by default.

That said, I think you are probably in the minority as far as wanting lots of things to make little noises.

I don't use gnome, so I'm not sure how you should set them up, but a bit of internet searching has lead me to believe you need to install dconf. Then gnome -> desktop -> sound and pick a sound theme.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:10

Sure sounded like the perfect solution and really appreciate your help. Once again is unfortunate as I set it two different ways 1st was freedesktop and the last was custom neither setting gets me more than one more sound and that is called warning sound. The rest of all the sound files never play for anything I do on the desktop. As of now I have the speaker test sounds, warning sound, default alert sound and device-added. There are several files down there and just nothing plays. As you suggested I found after opening dconf and going under org/desktop/sounds I found 3 settings Event sounds was already checked. I put a check mark in input-feedback-sounds and clicked underneath between the custom and freedesktop. Is really strange to have all those sound files and they all do nothing at all! Really amazes me! Hopefully, there is more ideas out there to get them going! It just baffles me to have an OS loaded with sound files that never play! Well have been worse as I mentioned last time, that other Linux's didn't even give the event sounds! Is a real nightmare there especially when errors are happening and you don't get a visual or sound! Least have to be grateful at least that works on here. Still as I get so excited when I see something I have never heard of such as boot sound, I just crave to hear and see it in action!!! Love new stuff, is why I have Sabayon installed!!!! Honestly, really appreciate all help cause I want to stay on Sabayon and enjoy everything about it! Thanks for all help!!!
BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 13:27

Have download a few theme sounds(system sounds) and am finding a lag time of 2 minutes on login sound. No logout sound, but I do have some more click sounds. Am getting around half of the sounds but there are lags in time so I am in belief that upping these kernels in Linux has caused this delay time. Least with Sabayon am getting closer to resolving this issue that not only exists for Sabayon users but for LInux users worldwide. I understand not everyone enjoys these sounds but for those of us that do, lets gather our minds together and work it out and help everyone to enjoy whatever Linux distro they like!
BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area