command for mounting & unpacking tarball?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

command for mounting & unpacking tarball?

Postby jim974 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 0:56

Trying to mount and unpack firefox-13.0.1.tar.bz2 which I downloaded to 'Downloads' in my 'home' directory.

Can anybody help me with the terminal commands for navigating to, mounting, and then unpacking the tarball. (Hope I am using the correct terminology).

Thanks, Jim.
jim974
Baby Hen

Re: command for mounting & unpacking tarball?

Postby wokko » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22

Code: Select all
cd Downloads

Will take you to your Downloads folder
tar -xvjf firefox-13.0.1.tar.bz2

will extract it
Not sure what you mean mount it?
wokko
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:53

Why are you unpacking a Firefox tarball?

There is much much easier way to install firefox.

#equo install firefox

or fire up Rigo and search for 'firefox'.

From your posting history, I'm guessing you are new to Sabayon and probably new to linux as well. In linux, most distros have this notion of 'package management'. Simply put, distro maintainers collect giant piles of applications for you to install and make it really easy to do. That way, all you have to do is learn the package management system for the distro for all* your application needs.

In Sabayon, the main package management system is called Entropy. Rigo is a graphical program you can use to interact with Entropy. For more information, check out the wiki: https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

*your mileage may vary.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby jim974 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 20:57

Thanks for help!! Always wondered how to get to a folder via the terminal and unpack a tarball. Thanks for spoonfeeding me...:) It wasn't able to install Firefox 13, but now I know more is involved than just simply unpacking a tarball. :?

Yes, I am new to Saboyon. Wiki is a great resource and bit by bit I am becoming more familiar with package mgr Entropy and its gui Rigo.

Rigo only had Firefox 12, and I wanted to try and install Firefox 13 via the terminal on my own.

I am assuming that so long as I keep the sabayon repositories updated per the instructions in wiki that eventually Rigo will updated to Firefox 13, or whatever.

One thing that confuses me is how to install programs from the Sabayon Linux Package Repositories -- https://packages.sabayon.org/

I do understand that users with limited tech know-how (like me) can rely on the simplicity and ease of Rigo to install software. (Again, so long as one keeps it properly updated). My confusion stemmed from the fact that the SL Package Repositories are listed under "applications" in gnome, so intuitively I thought that I could use it to install software outside of Rigo, but if so, I cannot seem to do it.

Jim
jim974
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Jun 19, 2012 21:35

Yes, you are right that you will get Firefox 13 eventually. In fact, Firefox 13 is already in the sabayon.org repo, meaning it should get pushed out to the sabayon-weekly repo soon.

You can see that by searching for firefox on packages.sabayon.org

Installing through packages.sabayon.org is somewhat of a beta system. I never do it so I can't really help you there.

If you don't like waiting for the weekly repo and think you can handle a hiccup every now and again, I would say you should enable the sabayon.org repo. Once you do that, Firefox 13 can be yours easily.

For any linux distro, it will never be recommended to install anything outside of the package management system. None of them will be able to directly take in a tarball containing nothing but source files and handle all the dependencies correctly either. Dependency management is a tricky beast and is the reason there are so many different binary package management systems out there.

I could probably end up writing forever about different package management schemes and the politics behind them all, so I'll just stop before I overwhelm you.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby jim974 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 21:59

Thanks Stupot. I'll rely on Rigo and weekly repo update. No need for me to be manually installing. Cheers, Jim.
jim974
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area