First steps after install?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

First steps after install?

Postby jim974 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 18:03

I am completely new to Sabayan and I really like it. Thanks to all you creators and contributors out there. I not new to linux, though I wouldn't consider myself anything but a novice when it comes to commands in the terminal.

I read the entropy article in wiki as recommended, but it seems to me that Rigo is new in SL9 and with it everything is a bit more 'automated' and user friendly for newbs like me.

For instance, I tried some of the eqou commands like 'update' and 'clean' and it is already telling me that everythings is updated.

Another recommendation per WIKI is to update the Linux Kernal manually first thing, but I can't figure out how to do it.

This is super stupid I know, (but the SL9 newb post heading said 'post without fear'), but what is the current linux kernal and how do I manually update it if the terminal command is different than what is laid out in wiki. I'm getting the impression that this too is now automated in SL9.
jim974
Baby Hen

Re: First steps after install?

Postby Jomiel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 23:27

Hi there,
have no fear to post here. I'm glad to think about new tricky situations and how to solve them^^.
To change the kernel, there is a terminal based programm called kernel-switcher.

To list all available kernel. Type:
Code: Select all
$ kernel-switcher list

Now thats a bit to much output (at least for me) and it shows special kernels like server ones and so on (that I'm not using). So I usually run something like this:
$ kernel-switcher list | grep linux-sabayon

To finally switch to a desired kernel type as root:
kernel switcher switch linux-sabayon-3.4
It pulls the needed dependencies on it's own and installs the desired kernel.

There is also little bit more information about the kernel-switcher in the wiki:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... l_Switcher

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Re: First steps after install?

Postby jim974 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:15

Jomiel,

Thank you! That got me on the right track. I guess I really hadn't read the wiki article after all. Or rather, I just skimmed through it. There was actually a section for what to do right after a "Fresh Install" and it was pretty easy to follow.

Cheers, Jim
jim974
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area