First things to do after installing sabayon awesome

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

First things to do after installing sabayon awesome

Postby umarhafeez » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:47

I just installed sabayon awesodme via text install.

Now i boot into command line.... (need to log in to do startx)

I would like to startx by default and get some material on starting with awesome desktop and sabayon package manager...

Thanks...
umarhafeez
Baby Hen

Re: First things to do after installing sabayon awesome

Postby throdon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:29

Have you ever used 'awesome' window manager on any other distro?

I don't understand why you would want to lose street cred by using a graphical login manager.

Did you use the 'awesome' ISO? Does it have a graphical install option?

I know in the past the text install had trouble with startx.

Did you use google to search about the problem, or ask about it on the irc channel?
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: First things to do after installing sabayon awesome

Postby umarhafeez » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:12

I am still testing distros for my optimum home laptop setup. Only sabayon awesome has a clean slate feeling that i craved initially so i thought i would try it for a bit longer....Graphical install requires username and password...on brief googling on one page i came across (http://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2921) very old bug report but the username in it did not work ... as i downloaded the latest iso, this should be updated and information should really in the wiki.

test install does give me cli interface but the startx command does work. There is a wiki on awesome and its usage but not a good newbie guide / first use guide that i have come across...

irc channel is still scary for me...googling though... i want to pick have a distro for use (not for tinkering_) by end of the weekend...
umarhafeez
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area