Sabayon 9 freezes on boot

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 9 freezes on boot

Postby mikedj84 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21

Hello, this is a double post, but i think the mark [SOLVED] on the post "Sabayon 9 doesn't boot" has less visibility.

i am Mike and i am a n00b with Sabayon, but i'd like to switch from a very buggy Ubuntu 12.04 to Gentoo, because i am looking for more performances.
I downloaded and verified the Sabayon 9 x64 with Gnome 3 version and i created a bootable usb stick with Unetbootin.
I have an issue on booting: if i boot using the Media Center function (the XBMC), everything works fine, while if i boot with the normal live session (Gnome 3), my notebook freezes before the Gnome Session is launched (i just see the normal kernel booting, but then fails).

My notebook is a Samsung RC530 with a Core i7 2670QM (QuadCore+HT) Sandy Bridge, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia Optimus technology (Intel HD3000+Nvidia GT560M 2GB VRAM), 500GB HDD.
I don't know if it is a problem of Gnome 3, since even under Ubuntu 12.04 or a live Fedora 17 sometimes it freezes, while with Unity or Xfce works fine, or it is a problem of Sabayon with Nvidia Optimus graphic card (i know, it sucks on Linux).

Does anyone have the same problem? Can anyone help me on this?
Quisque Faber Fortunae Suae
mikedj84
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 9 freezes on boot

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04

Don't have your GPU, but I noticed the following post the other day:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=27308&p=149993&hilit=optimus#p150056

I suggest you press F5 when the LiveUSB menu appears, press Esc to get rid of the little pop-up box with kernel parameters, and append "xdriver=vesa" to the end of the kernel boot line, then hit Enter. If you can then boot to GNOME 3 in Fallback mode you could check if the freezing has stopped. If it has, and if you want to install to your HDD, I think you would need to install the package x11-misc/bumblebee mentioned in the above post after you have installed SL to your HDD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby mikedj84 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13

Dear Fitzcarraldo,
thank you for your reply. I will give a try today with the command you suggested.
mikedj84
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 15:29

See also the blog post nVidia Optimus on Sabayon Linux: an happy ending story by SL developer DanySK, if you install SL to your HDD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby mikedj84 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 17:14

ok, i tried as you suggested but then Sabayoin boots into the console, because of error when launching the DE.

If i run gnome-session or startx, it gives me an error about "no screens found".
I tried also to modify xorg.conf and launch nvidia-xconfig but nothing works. Then, i deleted all the content of xorg.conf and giving startx, starts X11 with separated windows and, inside xterm window, i can launch gnome-session, but it has no menu because of crashes.
I don't know why does it happen only with Gnome 3, because with Xfce it works fine, but i'd like to use Gnome as well.
mikedj84
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area