How to add "composite" to Compiz Fusion?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to add "composite" to Compiz Fusion?

Postby chdslv » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12

Does anyone know how to add "composite" to CompizConfig Settings Manager's General section?

After installing Compiz and all other components available in Rigo the Composite part is not there in the General section of the CompizConfig Settings Manager. Rigo doesn't show what apps are available to download, if one doesn't write something in the search line.

I checked whether composite is installed, as it should be as 3D works out of box. These are installed; Compositeproto and Libxcomposite. The NVidia driver is also there too.

This is not an end of the world question, but if anyone had installed Compiz Fusion correctly and has the cube working, I'd appreciate advice.

Best regards!
Last edited by chdslv on Wed Jun 13, 2012 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
chdslv
Young Hen

Re: How to add "composite" to Compiz Fusion?

Postby Jomiel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51

Hi there,
I'm not sure if there is a Plugin that is called composite.
Did you run compiz instead of your current windowmanager? If not type:
Code: Select all
$ compiz-manager

There is the possibility that you won't get window borders.

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby chdslv » Wed Jun 13, 2012 16:51

Without the "Composite" ticked in the General section, none of the Compiz effects would start. Something is missing in the repos for downloading.

Take care!
Ch
chdslv
Young Hen

Postby Jomiel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39

So I checked my compiz and there is no composite plugin either. But it works fine without it. Have you seen the composite plugin in Ubuntu by any chance?

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby chdslv » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:30

There is Composite plugin in Ubuntu. How did you get the Compiz to work in yours? I have NVidia driver installed.
Reagrds!
chdslv
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53

The following is a list of all the packages for Compiz in Gentoo/Sabayon Linux:

dev-python/compizconfig-python
x11-libs/compiz-bcop
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig4
x11-libs/libcompizconfig
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-extra
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-main
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-unsupported
x11-wm/compiz
x11-wm/compiz-fusion
x11-apps/fusion-icon
x11-apps/ccsm
x11-themes/emerald-themes
x11-wm/emerald

Unlike Ubuntu, in Gentoo/Sabayon Linux there is no 'composite' entry in the General section of CompizConfig Settings Manager, and one is not needed.

Have you got OpenGL set up for the driver you are using?:

$ su
Password:
# eselect opengl set nvidia # If you are using NVIDIA closed-source driver.
# eselect opengl set xorg-x11 # If you are using an open-source driver.

See also Gentoo Linux Wiki - X.Org/Transparency. However, I don't have Option "Composite" "Enable" in my xorg.conf file and I don't need it. Compiz and KWin Desktop Effects both work fine and I also have transparency. I'm using the ATI FGLRX closed-source driver, but it may be that it's not needed for the NVIDIA closed-source driver either. As you can see, the Xcomposite extension is enabled in my case:

fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ xdpyinfo | grep Composite
    Composite
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Jomiel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 13:26

Ubuntu uses a rewrite of compiz (version 0.9.x ) and isn't declared stable. In our repos there is the old compiz before rewrite (version 0.8.8 ). Thats the reason why there is no composite plugin.
I you have already installed compiz you need to run the command in my previous post to activate it. There is the possibility that you end up without windowborders, if you didn't specify the right windowdecorator. That could be bad, because it handles the focus of the windows and you may be unable to select a terminal to run your old windowmanager (I'm using guake dropdown-terminal get automaticly focus). I allways used emerald for windowborders.

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 13:44

Better to run the command (Alt-F2 in KDE or GNOME):

fusion-icon &

Then the Compiz Fusion icon should appear in the Panel and the window manager and CCSM can be selected from a pop-up menu if one right-clicks on the icon.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Jomiel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 19:58

I never liked the icon. Another icon in my bar that has no purpose 99% of the time. But Fitzcarraldo is right. With his method you can easily go back to your old windowmanager (and avoid the no border thing). You need to install the icon to be able to use it and start it. If you don't like the sight of that icon (like me) you can allways close it if you don't need it anymore.
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby albfneto » Thu Jun 14, 2012 23:39

at first compiz not works good for GNOME3 or GNOME shell or cinammon.

I suppose that you have KDE, or LXDE or XFCE, in wich compiz works. then, for working good, compiz needs that all packages that have compiz in name should be installed.

install all the packages that have compiz in the name, including compiz and compiz-fusion packages, the plugins etc.... also install: ccsm, simple-ccsm, fusion-icon, cairo dock (ou at least cairo package, cairo library), emerald and sexy-python.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area