Thanks & NVIDIA GEForce GT540M problem

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Thanks & NVIDIA GEForce GT540M problem

Postby jgretired » Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:07

Hi! I have been a user of many Linux distributions and recently became a user of Sabayon. It is well put together
and I like what I see so far. Hats off to those who have put in their best efforts to make the distribution very useful.
I am still trying to figure out how to configure NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card (GEForce GT540M)on my Toshiba laptop.
Many thanks.
jgretired
Baby Hen

Re: Thanks

Postby Jomiel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 20:24

Hi there,
to bring the nvidia settings, you may find a launcher in your menu or bring it up from a terminal with typing "nvidia-settings".
If that doesn't work you may need to install it.

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Jun 10, 2012 22:21

Hi, and welcome to the Sabayon community.
Because we're running latest Xorg-server (1.11.4), i suggest to first check on nvidia's website if you have a Legasy card., 'cause Legasy cards doesn't work well with newest Xorg. See website:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
If you DO have a Legasy card, you would be better off installing the "nouveau" drivers.
as root, in a terminal:
Code: Select all
equo install x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau

If you don't appear to have a Legasy card, it's safe to install latest Nvidia drivers.
The drivers have to match your Kernel., though,
and the easiest way to achieve this, is to install latest drivers, and let Entropy (our Package manager) know
you want to install latest drivers, matching your kernel.
as root, in a terminal:
equo install nvidia-drivers#`uname -r`

("uname -r" shows current, active kernel, and combined with "equo install" command, it installs latest nvidia-drivers, matching your kernel...)

And of course, if you want to customize the settings, like Jomiel said, just install the package "nvidia-settings"
once again, as root, in a terminal:
equo install media-video/nvidia-settings
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16

That card is an optimus one, here is the way to use it in Sabayon.

http://www.danilopianini.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=23

* equo install bumblebee
* rc-update add bumblebee
* add your user to the bumblebee group
* reboot

I have done this successfully on a Dell Inspiron N5110 with Optimus Intel/Nvidia GEForce GT 540M
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen

Postby Jomiel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 23:55

The GT540M doesn't necessarily mean that the laptop is able to use optimus.
Maybe it uses an processor without graphic unit or the mainboard could be simply incapable of using optimus.
@OP: I don't know if there is a simple way to check this, but if you know your sure that your laptop can use otimus then follow Deadly Wolfs Post.

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41

I think this is the card he has

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ce-gt-540m

But I just searched on Bugzilla and got this result;

https://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3301
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen

Postby jgretired » Tue Jun 12, 2012 15:25

Thanks to you all for the replies. It is reassuring to know that there is a caring community. After reading various posts, here and elsewhere there is systemic problem with NVIDIA in an Optimus setting. I have tried other distributions and the results are the same. After going through the NVIDIA install, running xsettings is impossible. I know that nouveau driver works and I will try that. Once again, thanks a million.
jgretired
Baby Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:04

jgretired wrote:I am still trying to figure out how to configure NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card (GEForce GT540M)on my Toshiba laptop.
Many thanks.

I am using my laptop with GEForce GT540M and the nvidia card in Sabayon 9 and it is working okay. I installed nvidia drivers, and nvidia-settings and then installed Bumblebee.
Each time I reboot, as root I run
# bumblebeed --daemon

Then I can use the nvidia card when ever I need to, to use nvidia-settings I do this
 optirun nvidia-settings -c :8

I have currently, using optirun<command>, nvidia-settings, Firefox, glxgears and VLC all open and running using the nvidia card.
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen

Postby jim974 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20

I agree with op. I think Sabayan is sweet!!!! I like it so much that I just might cheer for Italy in Eurocup if the Dutch get elminated. (Isn't Sabayan from Italy, or originated there)? Anyway, thanks to all you creators and contributors out there. I really think it is awesome. :D Cheers, Jim.
jim974
Baby Hen

Postby jgretired » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:27

Hi! For the first time I see some NVIDIA settings info following Deadly Wolf's suggestion (running bumblebee etc). Two issues still remai, the NVIDIA shows a resolution of 640x480 whereas my screen can support 1600x900 resolution. Also to the Optirun command i get an error message in the terminal window that it is not able to read vgl_xauth_key from /etc/Virtual IGL folder. Nevertheless, the NVIDIA window opens.. Still probing.
jgretired
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area