Blank screen after upgrade [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Blank screen after upgrade [Solved]

Postby spikeyb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06

I upgraded my sytem today and after rebooting I get a blank screen.

The events that led to this are. I opened a terminal and su'd. I then followed some instructions I found a while ago and which have worked very well previously:

# equo update
# equo install entropy --relaxed
# equo conf update
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo conf update

I copy and paste the instructions from a text file into the terminal so I don't believe I made a mistake. Everything worked as normal and I experienced no problems.

When I reboot the system I end up with a blank screen. If I press F2 during the boot for verbose mode, I end up with a screen showing "This is Sabayon.unknown_domain (Linux x86_64 2.6.37-Sabayon) 09:20:52" followed by a login prompt. I can login OK but this is like being in a terminal not my desktop. It is the same if use the recovery mode option and press ctrl-D.

I have no idea at all of how to begin to get back to my desktop.

I have a dual boot setup, Sabayon on one HD and Win 7 on a different HD (both HD's are SATA). I do not know what extra information you may require about my system, please ask.

Please does anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by spikeyb on Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
spikeyb
Simple Hen

Re: Blank screen after upgrade

Postby spikeyb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:18

Additional information.

I ran startx from the screen after login and got a lot of blurb on the screen. I suspect the following may help with a solution but still don't know how to go about it.

The NVIDIA kernel module has version 295.49 but this NVIDIA driver component has version 295.53. Please make sure the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.
spikeyb
Simple Hen

Re: Blank screen after upgrade [Solved]

Postby spikeyb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:21

I'm back in and here's how I fixed it for anyone who is interested.

After pressing F2 for verbose mode I logged in. Then typed the following:

$ su (followed by password)
# equo remove nvidia-drivers
# equo install nvidia-drivers

Rebooted and found new kernels to load. Chose the latest and everything is now ok. Will now remove the old versions from boot list.
spikeyb
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area