After hibernate, startup hangs at login

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

After hibernate, startup hangs at login

Postby ntlg » Fri May 25, 2012 20:43

My system was working fine until I tried to make it hibernate. Everything looked fine, but now I'm unable to get past login: X freezes, and if I try to log in through a terminal, it hangs before I can enter a passwd. I looked in rc.log and it hangs at Starting Local.

If I look at ctrl-alt-f12, This is roughly what I see (It might be slightly out of order - I can chroot from a liveCD and copy it from a log if you need to see it exactly as it appears):

Code: Select all
ata1.00: conf for UDMA/133
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 Sact 0xf SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: irq_stat 0x4000008
ata1.00: cmd [etc etc] 4096
ata1.00: res [etc etc] Emask 0x409 (media error) <F>
ata1.00: state {  DRDY ERR  }
ata1.00: error {  UNC  }
EH complete

This repeats ([etc etc] is where I didn't copy down the long strings, but if they're relevant I can include them).

I'm inclined to think that instead of hibernating, the system just shut down without unmounting any drives. I'm not familiar enough with reading log files to identify exactly what the problem is, but I suspect that this is a filesystem error. Did I severely mess things up, or is it simpler than it looks?
ntlg
Baby Hen

Re: After hibernate, startup hangs at login

Postby ntlg » Fri May 25, 2012 23:25

I booted into recovery mode and ran
fsck -c -y /
and that seems to have solved the problem for now. Since it's a phsyical disk error, I'm worried about that causing problems again soon. I'm also worried about being able to hibernate. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may have happened, or was it just a coincidence that a disk error came up when it did?
ntlg
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 26, 2012 19:34

How many GB of RAM do you have, and how many GB is your swap partition?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ntlg » Sat May 26, 2012 20:26

It looks like I have 4 GB RAM and my swap partition is 6 GB.
ntlg
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 26, 2012 20:44

Well that's not the cause of the problem then (providing that you have compression enabled in-kernel, that is). Just check a couple of kernel config parameters, will you?

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_CRYPTO_LZO
CONFIG_CRYPTO_LZO=y
$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_LZO_COMPRESS
CONFIG_LZO_COMPRESS=y

What do you get?

Also, can you Suspend to RAM, or does that cause a problem as well?

(For another day: Why have you got such a big swap partition? It's not necessary. My swap partition is 4 GB, and that's only because I have 4 GB of RAM and want to be able to hibernate my laptop, and even 4 GB is over-the-top, as compression squeezes the saved RAM image into much less than that: Size of swap required for hibernation.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ntlg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11

Hi. Both return y. I can suspend just fine - however, just today, my system crashed and I am unable to reboot. I can see that the system is trying to mount my vg_tlg-lv_root (aka vg_sabayon-lv_root), but it's not working. This is what's listed in fstab as root, but I'm getting
!! could not find the root block device in .
Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell" for a shell, or "q" to skip...
root block device() ::

I've never used that shell before, so I'm not sure what I need to do here. If this is another hdd error, I may be in for a lot more problems with this computer. Might be worth chucking out the window...
ntlg
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area