Where are the kernel headers? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Where are the kernel headers? [Solved]

Postby xjonquilx » Sun May 20, 2012 14:59

I absolutely cannot find them even though Sabayon 8 claims they're installed on here. Where are they? I can't find them anywhere in the /usr/src folder!
Last edited by xjonquilx on Sun May 20, 2012 18:14, edited 3 times in total.
xjonquilx
Simple Hen

Re: Where are the kernel headers?

Postby xjonquilx » Sun May 20, 2012 15:15

Maybe it would help if I told you what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to install VMWare. It can't find the kernel headers. I have tried using the /usr/src folder and also /lib/modules.
xjonquilx
Simple Hen

Postby steffie » Sun May 20, 2012 17:00

vmware is in the repos
steffie
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 20, 2012 17:55

For future information, for compiling you need both sys-kernel/linux-headers and sys-kernel/sabayon-sources installed. The sources are under /usr/src/linux (make sure you have done eselect kernel list and eselect kernel set <n> to point to the currently installed kernel). N.B. The version of the linux-headers does not have to be the same as the version of sabayon-sources (see http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelHeaders). See also rc0.-rc6.d directories missing? [Solved], which might be of help.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby xjonquilx » Sun May 20, 2012 18:00

Thank you for responding.

I was not aware VMware was in the repos. I knew Virtualbox was there, just not VMware. Thanks for the tip!

Thank you also for the tip about where to find the kernel headers and Sabayon's source. If I need them again I will keep it in mind!
xjonquilx
Simple Hen

Postby xjonquilx » Sun May 20, 2012 18:13

Ok, I tried looking for VMware in the repos. I found the kernel headers for VMware but not VMware Player itself.

I installed the kernel headers, but VMware is still reporting that it can't find them.

I installed the Sabayon source code. I already had the kernel headers installed, at least what I think are the kernel headers (linux-headers?). Fortunately once I installed the Sabayon source code it worked.

So for review:

- I installed linux-headers (actually I think it was there by default, but I'm playing it safe and saying I installed it)
- I installed the Sabayon source code for my kernel (sabayon-source)

That's all it took to get VMware Player working! :)
xjonquilx
Simple Hen

Re: Where are the kernel headers? [Solved]

Postby xjonquilx » Sun May 20, 2012 18:18

*sigh* I spoke too soon... it isn't working. I'm going to open a new thread since this part of it was after all solved.
xjonquilx
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area