Rebooting causes Xfce to stop working [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Rebooting causes Xfce to stop working [Solved]

Postby ntlg » Sun May 20, 2012 10:29

>>>>>>EDIT: So I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I installed updates and everything is fine (at least for now). Oy vey. Thanks Jomiel.

Before I determine if I should go through log files or just reinstall, I was wondering if this is a problem that has come up before. Twice I have installed the latest release with Xfce, and both times I have encountered the same problem:

I'm dual-booting with Windows, the (GUI) installer works fine, first boot into Linux works fine, and I'm able to work for as long as I want (in the same session) without any problems. However, after some length of time, I will close a terminal emulator window and be unable to open a new one, getting the "input/output error" message. Both times it has been late at night and I have wanted to go to bed, so I just shut down and figure I'll deal with it in the morning. However, when I start up again I go through the boot splash screens and end up with a blinking cursor. Everything else seems to be fine, and I'm even able to ping google without having to configure my wireless connection (which is nice and somewhat unexpected). But I cannot get into a desktop environment at all.

I'm not very experienced with Sabayon, or with Linux, for that matter, but I wouldn't think closing a terminal emulator and then shutting down could be leading to Xfce failing constantly. I reinstalled, figuring there was an error in the install, or something. I got lazy. Seeing the same problem a second time is more troubling. Rather than install again, maybe somebody might know something that I don't?

Also, is there any reason why I am unable to get verbose mode? Am I just not quick enough with f2?

EDIT: The original post title was goofy.
Last edited by ntlg on Thu May 24, 2012 7:30, edited 3 times in total.
ntlg
Baby Hen

Re: Shutting down causes Xfce to stop working

Postby Jomiel » Sun May 20, 2012 14:09

Hi there,
are there some errors when you switch with Ctrl+Alt+F12 (graphic drivers or similar)? Have you installed updates or did you even update to a newer kernel?

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Re: Shutting down causes Xfce to stop working

Postby ntlg » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54

Hi,

Ctrl-alt-F12 shows a lot of networking errors ("@wl_cfg80211_get_station : Could not get rssi (-22) "), but it seems to be only network problems. All I did after installation was use equo to install vim and nmap. We're talking about a couple hours here, most of which was spent waiting for packages to download.
ntlg
Baby Hen

Re: Rebooting causes Xfce to stop working

Postby Jomiel » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50

Hi,
what graphic card are you using? Did you install one of the Daily ISO or the stable one?
There may be the possibility, that the networkmanager "flooded" the important ones away. To test this, kill lxde manualy, restart it and switch immediatly to Ctrl+Alt+F12.

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Re: Rebooting causes Xfce to stop working

Postby ntlg » Mon May 21, 2012 23:51

I installed with the stable ISO. I get no error messages if I disable the ufw firewall. The graphics card is an awful built-in Intel generic chip, specifically Mobile Intel 965 Express. I did use the GUI installer, which I gather can cause problems with graphics? I've been able to find information on configuring Nvidia and ATI cards, but I'm not sure where to look for what I have.
ntlg
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area