qtcurve window decoration kwin [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

qtcurve window decoration kwin [Solved]

Postby FreezeFire70 » Fri May 18, 2012 13:28

Hi,

this is my first question in this forum. I installed qtcurve-qt4 from weekly repos. I can select qtcruve as style, but it won't show up in window decorations (kwin). I use Sabyon 8 with KDE 4.8.3 - everything up to date.

How can I enable qtcurve in window dacorations? If you need more information, please tell me what to do to provide them.

Thanx, FreezeFire70
Last edited by FreezeFire70 on Mon May 21, 2012 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
FreezeFire70
Baby Hen

Re: qtcurve window decoration kwin

Postby cl00t » Sun May 20, 2012 11:11

I don't have a solution but I can confirm it here too, I will file a bug report later unless you've already done it?
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby batvink » Sun May 20, 2012 11:59

Hi, FreezeFire70
Description in Entropy says:
A set of widget styles for Qt4 based apps, also available for GTK2
afaik it's not ment to be show up in "Window Decorations", as it is a set of witget styles.

But it's very easy to download/install new window decorations;
In window Decorations, click "Get New Decorations"
In a new popup window, you will redirected to a mini version of "KDE-look.org"
if you want, in the search field, enter qtcurve, for decorations that matches the qtcurve configuration.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby cl00t » Sun May 20, 2012 18:15

Hi,

I have x11-themes/gtk-engines-qtcurve-1.8.15 & x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4-1.8.12 installed.
When I set an installed qtcurve theme via system settings / style, it changes things like the check boxes & progress bar according to the theme, but doesn't change scroll bar or button appearance, tool tip effects or effects like when selecting a toolbar button in dolphin. It should change all these.
It doesn't change the widget style (ie window decoration-nor should it), but it should be able to change the dolphin window background (raised / bevelled / flat etc) & affect the appearance of dolphin, it doesn't do many of the things it should.

For GTK apps I have qtcurve selected as theme & whilst they look good, things like scroll bars & button effects which should be affected by the settings in system settings / style, do not have the effects applied.
In Kubuntu, I can change the themes in the exact same way & the effects are applied.

I've submitted bug 3340.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby FreezeFire70 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:53

Thanx for answering. No problems with Widget styles and GTK-appearance.

In properties for qtcurve-qt4 is a so called USE flag for "windeco", but I don't know how to enable it. I thought this "windeco" refers to window decoration, since I can change the windeco apperance in qtcurve widget style options. Where am I thinking wrong?
FreezeFire70
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35

The windeco USE flag enables window decorations for KWin. If you want to enable it, you can do so using the Portage package manager as shown below. All of these must be done as root user in a Konsole window or VT.

1. Set up SL to use Portage for the first time.
Some of the following commands are redundant for some people, but I don’t know everyone’s situation so I cater here for all eventualities.

Code: Select all
equo install git # Sabayon overlays use Git.
emerge --sync # Synchronise with ebuilds in the Gentoo repositories.
layman -S # Get list of 3rd party overlays,
layman -d sabayon # In case the old Sabayon overlay was already added. Ignore error message, if any.
layman -d sabayon-distro # In case 2nd new split Sabayon overlay was already added. Ignore error message, if any.
layman -a sabayon # Add 1st new split Sabayon overlay.
layman -a sabayon-distro # Add 2nd new split Sabayon overlay.
layman -S # Make sure all overlays are synced.

2. Merge (install) qtcurve-qt4 with the windeco USE flag set.

Code: Select all
USE="kde windeco" emerge -1v qtcurve-qt4

(You may need to prefix the above command with FEATURES="-collision-detect -protect-owned" if the merge grumbles about not being able to overwrite files.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby cl00t » Mon May 21, 2012 12:40

Fitzcarraldo wrote:The windeco USE flag enables window decorations for KWin. If you want to enable it, you can do so using the Portage package manager as shown below. All of these must be done as root user in a Konsole window or VT.

Hello, thanks for this information.
Is this something which can be fixed with the qtcurve package itself or are your instructions the only way to achieve this?
I ask as I like to stick with entropy & not mix with portage unless I will have to.
Cheers.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 21, 2012 13:02

^You could file a request in the SL Bugzilla (see link 'Bugs' at the top of this page) for the package to be rebuilt for the Entropy repository with the windeco USE flag set. I don't see any reason why the SL developers would deny that request, but it's up to the SL developers. As the qtcurve-qt4 package has USE flags for KDE and for KDE window decorations, I assume some people don't want that package built with those options. Otherwise they wouldn't be options. I'm not a user of non-KDE DEs that use (if any) qtcurve-qt4 so do not know what effect the windeco USE flag would have on non-KDE DEs that use (if any) qtcurve-qt4. Bottom line: file a request and it will either be accepted or not.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby FreezeFire70 » Mon May 21, 2012 13:43

Thank you, Fitzcarraldo!

Your instructions finally brought me the qtcurve window decoration. :D

Have a nice day!

ps. I'm glad I changed to Sabyon - hopping time is over! :)
FreezeFire70
Baby Hen

Re: qtcurve window decoration kwin [Solved]

Postby joost » Mon May 21, 2012 14:03

joost
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area