Cant install on older P4 box

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Cant install on older P4 box

Postby countj2 » Sun May 06, 2012 22:14

Hello all, I am new to Sabayon and trying to install it on an older P4 based HP d530 box. Every time I try to boot from a cd, it crashes while it is loading the environment. I have been able to get it booted using a USB key, but the installer keeps crashing on me. Here is a link to the crash log from that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgj0eq9t24xy6cz/dmesg I am trying to install Sabayon 8 Xfce.

Thanks
countj2
Baby Hen

Re: Cant install on older P4 box

Postby Jomiel » Mon May 07, 2012 10:03

Hi there,
I'm not that good in something like that, but there is an error in a library. Have you checked the md5sum of the iso?

cheers
Jomiel
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Postby countj2 » Mon May 07, 2012 13:03

I just checked, the checksum was correct. One thing I forgot to mention is that I did have to change a few BIOS settings to get the installer to run. I disabled ACPI S3 support, disabled ACPI/USB @ top of memory, and disables I/O APIC mode. I used Universal USB Installer to put the iso onto a usb drive. When booting from that it went straight to the text based boot prompt, I hit enter to boot the liveCD environment. When booting from a burned DVD it went to a menu where I chose either graphical or text based installation, but both of these crashed before even getting me to an installation screen, with the caps lock and scroll lock lights flashing.
countj2
Baby Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu May 17, 2012 15:46

some older hardware really likes this if you add it to the boot like on the cdrom (F5 options if I recall)

--noapic

good luck!
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby countj2 » Tue May 22, 2012 21:38

Thanks for the suggestion, I couldn't get the CD to boot, so I tried reformatting my USB drive, redoing everything and then it worked. The installer crashed the first try but after that it installed.
countj2
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area