different make.conf and long compile with genkernel

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

different make.conf and long compile with genkernel

Postby bodycode » Fri May 04, 2012 2:26

Sabayon 8's Gr8, I'd be an indecent, ungreatful Bstrd if I complained. Which I'm not! I'm thankful. So thank you all you incredible FOSS developer humans :)

I was however wondering why the make.conf is so incredibly different than previous versions of Sabayon & other gentoo distros. It certainly changed a lot. But I don't want to use other distros, I'm sticking with Sabayon 8 anyway, however, I'd really like to optimize things.

On other gentoo distros I simply do a march=native and set the j flag to 7 for my I7 machine. I compile a kernel in 7 to 8 minutes flat on my high end machine.

ON Sabayon 8 however, it takes twice as long at over 14 minutes! Is that because the compiler is working 2X as hard to make a tighter binary or what? I'm really confused, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
We're flying on a rock through space and we're lucky to be alive!
bodycode
Baby Hen

Re: different make.conf and long compile with genkernel

Postby wolfden » Fri May 04, 2012 6:19

check the kernel config file compared to your others, your others are probably leaner

I assume you are using portage all the time as changing the make.conf and using entropy is pointless.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: different make.conf and long compile with genkernel

Postby bodycode » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:21

I follow the guidelines for using both safely. I update one with the other, and, I follow the other recommendations. For instance, I've found that installing Sun JDK and Netbeans very difficult using Portage, so I use Entropy. So I do use both.

I don't think it's a question of leaner, it's a question of completely different, I think you know what I'm referring to.. If software in Sabayon is already compiled using the make.conf found, then would changing it to the "" settings break things when compiling stuff?

Thanks. I'd also like to know why Sabayon 8 uses the brand new make.conf
We're flying on a rock through space and we're lucky to be alive!
bodycode
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area