Sabayon 8 upgrade/X can't start

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 8 upgrade X can't start

Postby mkershaw » Thu May 03, 2012 20:59

Oh, i'm not giving up. Even if I need to keep my sabayon guest disk just sitting there for a while. I'm sure that it will live once more! heh

No solid evidence thus far, but I really do believe it to be that Oracles vboxvideo modules and such, just simple are incompatible with xorg server 1.11.4. I had no problems at all until I upgraded to that. Whenever I put some time into it, I'll respond here to let you know how it goes. I'm already a subscriber =]
mkershaw
Baby Hen

Postby trixon » Thu May 03, 2012 21:21

luer wrote:...after kernel upgrade recompile modules ...

What version of the kernel are you using? If not 3.2.0-sabayon, you will have to change my earlier commands.
trixon
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Fri May 04, 2012 5:42

mkershaw wrote:Oh, i'm not giving up. Even if I need to keep my sabayon guest disk just sitting there for a while. I'm sure that it will live once more! heh

No solid evidence thus far, but I really do believe it to be that Oracles vboxvideo modules and such, just simple are incompatible with xorg server 1.11.4. I had no problems at all until I upgraded to that. Whenever I put some time into it, I'll respond here to let you know how it goes. I'm already a subscriber =]

OK. I also wait for next bunch of updates, maybe it'll be corrected. I let it on the disk too, but I must do my work for now.
luer
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Fri May 04, 2012 5:45

trixon wrote:What version of the kernel are you using? If not 3.2.0-sabayon, you will have to change my earlier commands.

3.2.0 (r13)- everything is as it should be. I've checked config files, everything is as it was before upgrade. Just virtualbox-video is not working.
luer
Baby Hen

Postby trixon » Sat May 05, 2012 7:37

When I recently had the same/similar problem I upgraded the kernel to 3.3.0 and the corresponding modules.
trixon
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Sun May 06, 2012 13:55

Today updates correct the problem. I update the snapshot I've made before the sunday updates broke the system.
So 2-3 weeks without workable system - not very good. It could be corrected by installing GA from installed PUEL VirtualBox. But I wanted to have GA that come with Sabayon.
I was suprised that nobody was able to find solution for the problem, or maybe I should post it in hardware related problems.
Anyhow now it's OK.
luer
Baby Hen

Postby mkershaw » Mon May 07, 2012 15:46

Confirmed....

I'm still on 3.2.0, and with updates applied I'm back in business.
mkershaw
Baby Hen

Postby shwats » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28

The error your getting is related to a driver that you have estabilished in your /etc/X11/xorg.config. Most likely the display driver. I had this problem and had to goto console and emerge the drivers in the config file. Btw, you might also have to reinstall your keyboard and mouse drivers which are xf86-input-evdev.
shwats
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Wed May 09, 2012 20:56

shwats wrote:The error your getting is related to a driver that you have estabilished in your /etc/X11/xorg.config. Most likely the display driver.

Of course it is the vbox driver. But the driver came with Sabayon and as the system rolls, there was never any problem with it, untill now. And it was apparently some kind of internal error of Sabayon packages/packagers (as the problem self-heals after 2-3 weeks - maybe if I was not using sabayon-weekly, it would be faster - I don't know) ...
I've never had these problems with Sabayon. I knew what to do, but I was unpleasently suprised, that this could happen to distribution like Sabayon, that should just work ...
I've started this post just to point on this problem - what if I install Sabayon on the friend's computer or even on the customer's and suddenly ... my telephone starts ringing. But maybe I've come too far (in this case I'd probably went with CentOS, Scientific or other LTS distribution).
However it would be nice to have a distro that works like this - install and just keep it rolling and stay up to date with current versions of software.
Sabayon was very close to this ideal in my eyes.
luer
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 8 upgrade/X can't start

Postby gollum2012 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31

I had your same problem.
I installed Sabayon 8 for the first time after a long period of being a Windows-only user in a VirtualBox virtual machine.
So I updated everything, at the end of the process I restarted the system and... all black :-(
I typed Alt-F1 for the terminal and logged in as root, startx and I got same screenshot.
So googling a tried different pseudo-solution, until:

uname -a #kernel 3.2 :-( ;
equo search linux-sabayon|grep 3.3 #kernel 3.3 available :-);
equo install linux-sabayon:3.3 #ok install kernel 3.3;
Then reboot and now it's all ok.
Hope this help!
gollum2012
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area