Sabayon 8 upgrade/X can't start

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 8 upgrade/X can't start

Postby luer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 19:32

Hello,

I'm new to this forum(I've never had any problem with Sabayon). My system is running Sabayon 8 KDE(xfce, 7 lxde) as guest system in VirtualBox(currently 4.1.14). Host is CentOS 6.2 32b.
The CentOS is OK, but I need more up to date system so I'm evaluating Sabayon, but ... After upgrading the freshly installed system(this week +600 updates), the system starts booting but at the moment it would show the login manager, the screen dims out and nothing happens. In another console i log in and try startx and the image tells everything. It happened first with last week updates(22.4.2012) so I rolled back to the snapshot before upgrade and waited for this week updates to solve the problem, but again ...
The same behaviour is also on the 8xfce and 7lxde VMs.
Where could be the problem?

Thank you.
Last edited by luer on Thu May 10, 2012 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
luer
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 8 upgrade X can't start

Postby trixon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 21:42

luer wrote:Where could be the problem?

Thank you.

Missing modules, try this.
Code: Select all
sudo equo install virtualbox-guest-additions:0,3.2.0-sabayon
sudo equo install virtualbox-modules:0,3.2.0-sabayon
sudo reboot
trixon
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23

Thanks trixon.

I've made it but with the same result. I've checked /etc/x11/xorg.conf, /etc/init.d/virtualbox-guest-additions is there as it was and also /etc/conf.d/modules is unchanged.
I've made upgrade as is written on the entropy wiki page - fresh install.
Should I simply upgrade system using notification icon and sulfur regardless suggestion that i have to upgrade entropy first? What is the preferred way of upgrading?
luer
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Tue May 01, 2012 5:56

Nobody else can help here at Sabayon forum?
I think it's a pretty crucial for my sabayon evaluation, but at this state i can't take sabayon, put it on someones notebook, pc, and let it roll :-(
That's what i'm looking for and hope that sabayon should be like this.
It is interesting that I've tested Sabayon before and never had this problem, even after really great upgrades.
Why this time?
luer
Baby Hen

Postby sabayonino » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby luer » Tue May 01, 2012 20:06

Thanks sabayonino, but i was talking about Sabayon as the guest system, not host!
There was never any problem with virtualbox guest drivers provided by Sabayon, untill now.
Maybe it's not a newbie question, should i post it in hardware?
luer
Baby Hen

Postby mkershaw » Wed May 02, 2012 16:21

My work box is honked up on this also at the moment. Not good at all. More I did, it's sounding like it's that the virtualbox modules aren't ready for xorg server 1.11.4 that I just updated yesterday. At least that's the path i'm going down. I'm trying to revert back to xorg server 1.10.4 at the moment...

UGH
mkershaw
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Wed May 02, 2012 19:41

I'm updating my vbox again (reverted back to the working snapshot) and after that I'm gonna try something else ... I'll post the result.
Mkershaw, is your box virtualbox guest or host?
luer
Baby Hen

Postby mkershaw » Wed May 02, 2012 19:49

mines a guest....i had to stop messin with it for now. i just threw up a quick linux mint guest so i can actually do some work today. regretfully, i performed no snapshot prior to running my updates last night. i'll go back to plugging away at it later =]

good luck on ur efforts as well!

mike
mkershaw
Baby Hen

Postby luer » Thu May 03, 2012 20:52

OK. I think, I'm going to give it up ... I can obviously install sabayon-sources and virtualbox-additions from the host virtualbox package and everything is allright, except after kernel upgrade recompile modules ... I just wanted to know why this happened, but apparently nobody can help here! I don't understand, there is nobody out there?
Thanks.
luer
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area