Installation issues - Sata Raid unable to boot (via grub)

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Installation issues - Sata Raid unable to boot (via grub)

Postby leo_mancini » Sat Apr 28, 2012 15:50

Hi all,

I have an old computer with which I am attempting to install Sabayon 8 onto. I have ran a live cd (KDE version) and ran an installation via the 'text installation' (as I had issues logging running the gui installation). This installed successfully, though I've had an issue with GRUB.

So according to the installation - the boot loader had installed correctly, but this in fact was not the case.

I was required to chroot into the hardware firstly by mounting my LVM partitions using the http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... _Mount_LVM instructions... Then using the http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... tore_Grub2 I successfully managed to chroot into the system, and had successfully installed grub2 onto the master boot record (MBR) of the RAID Sata hard drive. Please note though the step (grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg) did not work (I'm sorry though I can't recall the error message).

Now each time that I boot up the computer, I am met with a grub command prompt. This is where my lack of knowledge really kicks in :(

I have attempted to type in
Code: Select all
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'                 
linux /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0-sabayon
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0
boot

This appears to start the boot process... though eventually it reaches a point where it states 'unable to find root device'.
I don't know what I can do to get past this point. I am offerred an opportunity to get into a shell, but I've got no idea. I've had a look at the dev folder and tried exiting the shell and typing /dev/sda, though this has not been successful (as I'm assuming it is looking for the lvm volume name instead.

so at this stage, I'm guessing, I'll either need to
1. re-install grub OR
2. issue the correct command in the grub command prompt so that I can boot the system, then proceed to create a grug.cfg file.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
leo_mancini
Baby Hen

Re: Installation issues - Sata Raid unable to boot (via grub

Postby BoeroBoy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 19:59

What does your /etc/fstab look like? Did you use a separate /boot partition?
BoeroBoy
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area