equo and package installation

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

equo and package installation

Postby cmrntnnr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47

Just installed Sabayon. Want to get it running well with my hardware and to my likes. Equo is causing some headaches that I hope a more experienced user can clear up.

1) plain installation of a single package seems to be impossible. The command to install firefox is a good example.

equo install www-client/firefox-11.0

Instead of installing firefox, I am told that 544 packages need to be updated with the download of 833 mb. It also asks that I accept a license for JasPer2.0. What am I doing wrong and why doesn't equo do what was asked?

2) my computer needs the broadcom-sta package for wireless. I know the card works perfectly with this driver under opensuse. equo doesn't seem able to find it.
cmrntnnr
Baby Hen

Re: equo and package installation

Postby Stupot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38

As far as #1 goes, welcome to binary package management.

Linux applications all like to share. The side effect being, when you install the latest package, it wants the latest shared libraries. In order to update those shared libraries, it has to update all the packages that also use those shared libraries.

This is perfectly normal and ok. Most people want the latest version of all the packages anyway.

As far as #2 goes, it's there. http://packages.sabayon.org/show/broadc ... 5,standard

Should be as simple as 'equo install broadcom-sta' to install the package.

Just a quick heads up though, before you install a whole bunch of packages, I suggest updating the package management system first.

'equo install equo --relaxed' should do the trick.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby cmrntnnr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:30

Is there any way to access older binaries or bring in source and compile. This behavior of Sabayon or equo creates a connundrum.

-My internet access bandwidth at home is limited to 4 gb so i prefer to not consume 25% of it with not needed updates

-Since the wireless doesn't work I can't use the computer outside the home where bandwidth is higher and unrestricted.

This wireless trap must occur fairly frequently. Does anyone on the forum know how to get around the roadblock?
cmrntnnr
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:44

I'm pretty sure the broadcom driver should already be installed, it should just be matter of configuring it. I could be wrong though (not home at the moment to check).

If you believe you can handle a binary distro once you have your wireless working, then I would suggest installing broadcom-sta through portage. It should not have near as many dependencies and you can install older versions of it. This is something that can't be feasibly done with any binary package management system.

Have a quick look at our wiki section on using emerge (portage) https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... ide#Emerge

Basically, what you'll want to do is
'emerge --sync'
'emerge broadcom-sta --ask' and go through that process unless it pulls in a bunch of dependencies.

If it does,
'emerge --search broadcom-sta' to find previous available versions.

I'll check these forums back in a few hours when I'm home. Good luck!
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby cmrntnnr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 0:56

Hi Stu,

Gave the instructions you provided a try. The sync took quite a long time. Installation of the broadcom wireless package would not work. The sites with the kernel and other bz2 files kept timing out. I finally gave up.

Sabayon appears to be a nice and snappy distribution. It isn't a good fit for my hardware. It is a bit mind boggling to consider what Gentoo users must navigate to get a working system. It is back to an rpm based distro for this linux user.

Thanks for the help.
cmrntnnr
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04

Ahh, I am sorry to hear that.

Fyi, I just check and broadcom-sta is installed on my desktop from the standard Sabayon 8 installation. So it might already be there. Why it isn't working nicely, I don't know.

Anyway, I wish you luck with however you choose to go.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby mélodie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50

Hi,
For a next future try, perhaps an iso taken for the daily iso page would suit you better ?
http://na.mirror.garr.it/pub/1/sabayonlinux/iso/daily

Then no need to update.
mélodie
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area