Hello and some really stupid questions :D

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Hello and some really stupid questions :D

Postby CritAnime » Tue Apr 10, 2012 0:07

Hi there!

I installed Sabayon on Friday and I am loving the freedom that I have compared to what I had with Ubuntu. However I have a couple of 'newbie' questions that I want clearing up.

1: Whats the difference between portage and entropy in terms of package management. And which one would be best to use?

2: Is there any nice printable entropy and portage cheat sheets? I like haveing a bit of paper sat at the side of me to refer to.

3: How do the updates work in relation to what I have seen in Ubuntu.

4: Are there any gentroo specific commands I should learn? And if so is there a cheat sheet (I like cheat sheets lol)

5: Might be a bit more involved but... I installed KDE through equo install kde-meta. However I have installed Cinnamon and I prefer it over KDE. Is there a way of uninstalling KDE. I tried equo remove kde-meta but that just said it removed 1 package but KDE is still there lol.
CritAnime
Baby Hen

Re: Hello and some really stupid questions :D

Postby Stupot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09

1: Portage is source based. Entropy is binary. Since you are fairly new and come from Ubuntu, I would recommend sticking with entropy. In fact, unless you have a strong desire to go source based, you should pretty much stick with entropy (it's what the vast majority around here do).

2: None that I know of. The wiki is a pretty good place to look around though.

3: It is really best to simply learn the basics of entropy without trying to map it to Ubuntu, although there are certainly similarities.
The basics of what you'll want to do is update the repositories, then update any outdated packages, and lastly merge any configuration changes if needed.
Via the commandline:
Code: Select all
#equo update
#equo upgrade
#equo conf update

4: There are a couple, such as eselect and rc-update that I can think of at the top of my head. But truthfully, you are probably better off asking those questions as they arise (after doing a quick search of course). There are lots of little things like that that people could point out to no end.

5: Yes, installing KDE is much eaiser than removing it. There are a couple of forum posts about removing KDE if you do a bit of forum searching. But, if you've got the hard drive space to spare, I would say just let it sit. It doesn't impact system performance if you aren't using it and using Cinnamon instead.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Hello and some really stupid questions :D

Postby jasohall » Fri Apr 13, 2012 21:36

The simple method to uninstall kde (or any other meta) is # equo remove kde-meta --deep. That will remove all packages. Also, since you removed the meta package saying where all the files are, you'll want to do # equo install kde-meta... then do the removal. If there's anything more complicated than that I'm sure it's covered in other parts of the forum or let us know. Cheers.
jasohall
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area