Need help running livedvd from usb flash

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Need help running livedvd from usb flash

Postby OmagicQ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40

Hi,

I am relatively new to Sabayon Linux, I've dabbled here and there with linux in general however. 8 is the first distro I have used that fully supports my Sandybridge-based system. Other distros I have tried did not have Kernel 3.1+ or updated Intel 2.17 drivers to use the Sandybridge IGP without issues.
Anyway I am having trouble getting the KDE x64 distro from running from a usb flash drive. I have used Unetbootin 5.68 and Universal USB Installer 1.8.8.1
I press alt-f1 to see the messages and it seems to hang on "waiting from uevents to finish" or something like that. After a short time the screen floods with messages about stuff timing out and killing, it goes by so fast i can't make it out very well.

Booting from a burned dvd works as expected. Can anyone help? I wouldn't mind running the livedvd except I'm not sure how to tell it to load the whole dvd into memory and run from there. I can add "docache" to the boot options but i am not sure where.

Thanks.
OmagicQ
Baby Hen

Re: Need help running livedvd from usb flash

Postby joeoden » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:51

OmagicQ wrote:I have used Unetbootin 5.68
At the time of this reply having Sabayon limbo repo enabled the version I have installed is Unetbootin 5.65
OmagicQ wrote:After a short time the screen floods with messages about stuff timing out and killing, it goes by so fast i can't make it out very well
I had something similar with one of the daily images (it worked from dvd but not usb stick) fixed that by deleting the partition on the usb stick and then created a new partition to start fresh
OmagicQ wrote:Booting from a burned dvd works as expected
Have you tried to copy livecd.squashfs from dvd disc (or iso image) and then paste it replacing the one on the usb stick
OmagicQ wrote:I can add "docache" to the boot options but i am not sure where
Sabayon Wiki will answer that https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... veCD.2FDVD
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby nonviotale » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13

Recently i encoutered the same think with my very old AMD64 3200+ pc. And i manage to solve it somehow like the way i am h\going to describe.

I download ubuntu 10.04. Make a persistent install to one usb flash drive. Install in that system a piece of software that is called multisystem.
http://liveusb.info/dotclear/ (Site in france, use google translate to understand)

Download the iso that i wanted to install in my system. Used mutisystem to loaded to my flash drive and voualla installation of sabayon 8 amd64 xfce to my very old pc with out problems.
nonviotale
Baby Hen

Postby OmagicQ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 13:07

joeoden wrote:
OmagicQ wrote:I have used Unetbootin 5.68
At the time of this reply having Sabayon limbo repo enabled the version I have installed is Unetbootin 5.65

I also tried Linux Live Usb creator from linuxliveusb dot com, still failed. I've checked the md5 hash so the download was good.

joeoden wrote:
OmagicQ wrote:After a short time the screen floods with messages about stuff timing out and killing, it goes by so fast i can't make it out very well
I had something similar with one of the daily images (it worked from dvd but not usb stick) fixed that by deleting the partition on the usb stick and then created a new partition to start fresh

I have done it 3 times already with 3 different tools, but I will keep trying.

joeoden wrote:
OmagicQ wrote:Booting from a burned dvd works as expected
Have you tried to copy livecd.squashfs from dvd disc (or iso image) and then paste it replacing the one on the usb stick

I will try that.

joeoden wrote:
OmagicQ wrote:I can add "docache" to the boot options but i am not sure where
Sabayon Wiki will answer that https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... veCD.2FDVD

I will check it out, but I already tried inserting it right after music but before -- in the boot options of the first option. It seemed to copy it to ram but then hung on something else. I'm not blaming the distro, it works when I let it boot from dvd. I must be doing something wrong, anyway I will keep trying.

Thanks.
OmagicQ
Baby Hen

Postby OmagicQ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 13:14

nonviotale wrote:Recently i encoutered the same think with my very old AMD64 3200+ pc. And i manage to solve it somehow like the way i am h\going to describe.

I download ubuntu 10.04. Make a persistent install to one usb flash drive. Install in that system a piece of software that is called multisystem.
http://liveusb.info/dotclear/ (Site in france, use google translate to understand)

Download the iso that i wanted to install in my system. Used mutisystem to loaded to my flash drive and voualla installation of sabayon 8 amd64 xfce to my very old pc with out problems.

thanks, it looks interesting but also adds another point of failure. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use grub2 to for booting from usb, all the programs i've used so far all use syslinux.
OmagicQ
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area