Problems with Sabayon 6 [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

exsencon
Young Hen

Problems with Sabayon 6 [Solved]

Post by exsencon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 19:57

I have a multiboot system on my Dell 520 Dimension
Two SATA hdd 250GB each, 3GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 7800LE graphics
First hd is WinXP and I leave it like that (it's still usefull sometimes)
Second hd I have Ubuntu 11.10, Centos 6, Mandriva 2011, Kubuntu 11.10, Debian 6, Fedora FC15,Slackware 13.37,Opensuse 10.4, Solaris 11 Express.
Now a few years back I used to have a Sabayon 4 something which was really working very well but lately I forgot about it and decided to free up the partition and put Sabayon 6 in it's place. Really, I wish I had never done that.
It installed allright but after that I really have many problems. I have the gnome desktop and that's the usual desktop for me. Got my printer working, and wanted to install xsane to have the scanner working as well (it's a multifunctional device).
Well, I must say it is really awful. I order to install that little xsane I first had to upgrade the repo, then had to install 429 upgrades and then another 336 packages upd-or upgrades. It took the better part of the day and worse leaving me with a system I couldn't even reboot into because it could't find it's original login window supposedly wiped out by the many updates (an X11 issue I suppose) Really, is there no way just to install the things you want without having to do a lot of updates who finally leave you with a bootable but useless system because you cannot login anymore. Very disappointed with Sabayon 6. The only thing I can think of is that it's out of reach of my machine.
BTW all my systems are booting with Ubuntu's GRUB2 in the MBR,no problem there. I also have an external USB disk with PCBSD 8.2,Mepis11,PCLINUX2010,Kanotix and LinuxMint11 working very well.
Last edited by exsencon on Wed Oct 26, 2011 23:41, edited 2 times in total.

raman
Advanced Hen

Re: Problems with Sabayon 6

Post by raman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 21:44

Maybe better to install Sabayon 7? With a lot less upgrades, etc?
Gosh ppl..... Stop trolling.

genfool
Technological Hen

Post by genfool » Mon Oct 24, 2011 23:19

Interesting, did I count 9 distros on the second 250 gig hard drive? Makes me wonder how much space you gave to sabayon ...Is the partition full?
Nothing wrong with trying different distros, imho is good to find one you like and use it, learn the quirks of the system, how to maintain it etc...
Is always a good idea to keep sabayon up to date to avoid these huge updates. You installed 6, now you have 7 with the updates. Now you need to do some basic trouble shooting to find the issue. With that many updates is hard too say what was updated besides the whole system and every package in it :roll:
A kernel should not be updated unless the user chooses to do it. Sometimes a kernel could be pulled in as a dep. This could be your problem.
when you boot sabayon, I will assume it stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the corner. at the keyboard hit alt ctrl f1 this should bring you to a terminal, log in as root and time to poke around in the logs for the error.
First thing I would check

Code: Select all

df -h
See if the huge updates filled up the partition

eselect kernel list

uname -r
Here we are looking to see if you did get a kernel update. the kernel list will have a kernel with a * next to it, is your set kernel. uname -r shows your booted kernel .... these need to match. I do not see what you see, lets pretend that uname shows 2.6.39 while eselect kernel list has a * next to 3.0.0 You would have a kernel mismatch and wrong nvidia drivers are being loaded. Couple ways to fix this. The real problem would be using ubuntu grub, the new kernel did not get added to the grub menu. Would need to boot ubuntu and run update-grub to add the new kernel to grub menu.
Or you could run

eselect kernel set 1
Assuming the kernel in uname -r matches that kernel in eselect kernel list.

equo install nvidia-drivers
Here you want to watch what it installs, nvidia drivers are kernel specific. You know or selected which kernel you will use already, make sure it is installing correct kernel version for you. Sometimes it may be installing the wrong kernel version and you need to specify which version to install

equo install x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-285.05.09#3.0.0-sabayon
modify this to the kernel you are using?

Next, take a look at your video drivers. I have seen over the years where xorg updates sometimes picks the wrong drivers.

eselect opengl list
Does nvidia have a * if yes good, if not ... eselect opengl set nvidia Same as setting the kernel above.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Look for the driver section, see it has "nvidia" listed as the driver, if not replace cat with nano and edit the file, change to "nvidia"

Not even looking at logs yet, try these things and see what happens, I suspect gpu issue and these ideas should fix it.
If the partition is not full :bom:

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48

This all explanation are given again and again. Maybe its time to write howto in wiki or smth.
And sorry, but I don't have time to do this. Maybe somebody?

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46

Thanks a lot genfool for your very long and up to the point reply.
Meanwhile I did a fresh reinstall of Sabayon 6. I can say the Sabayon partition was not even half full before I formatted it with Gparted (I always use Gparted before I install a new distro)
Second, you counted right I am having 9 linux distros in the second Hd and with Sabayon that makes 10. Each distro has a 20GB partition, so that makes 200GB. The rest is divided in an old FAT32 partition (very important stuff in there) and a NTFS partition for big files (>4GB).
I only have root partitions,I don't bother with /home ,/usr or any other. The bootloader of any linux is always put into its own root partition except for Ubuntu who has its bootloader in the MBR booting all my systems with a nice Bootloader menu on startup (allthough I must admit that with GRUB2 it doesn't look that nice as before but that's a customization problem)
Now every time I install a new distro I always go into Ubuntu and do an update-grub just to make sure grub.cfg is up to date.
I can't check the rest of your post since I did a clean reinstall of Sabayon6 and of course didn't upload anything because if I do that I can't get in anymore on reboot.
But I do agree the multiple downloads changed my config probably and upgraded the X11 and/or the nvidia files rendering the system useless. The problem is of course: how do you know which files to install or not when there are 429 to install only because I wanted xsane...
Now I downloaded Sabayon 7 just to see if it is my lucky day today. I'll keep you posted.

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 19:37

Well, it was my lucky day. I first tried Sabayon 7 gnome and that was even worse than Sabayon 6. It installed allright but after reboot it just gave me a little login screen completely frozen. Nothing to do but a hard shutdown.
So I tried Sabayon 7 KDE version and that was completely different. After install and reboot it hesitated a while at the login screen so I put it in failsafe mode and up it went. Rebooted again (without doing anything)and it booted in normal plasma KDE mode. Great! No problems installing the printer and the scanner(yes) It just installs only what you want. Then it said there were 190 upgrades to do. I pondered that for a while but then I decided to go for it. Took about 45 minutes (with the dependencies it really was 363 files). Rebooted and up it went without any problems.Got my samba shares working for my Laptop-no problem.
Conclusion: For my machine KDE is the way to go (probably also in Sabayon6 although I didn't check) My guess is that the new gnome is just too much for my machine.
Anyway thanks to you guys for helping my out.
BTW any of you have any experience installing gscan2pdf in Sabayon 7? I like that little program a lot because I do a lot of PDF scanning. I remember Fitzcarraldo talked my through it in Sabayon 4 but I don't know if his thing is still valid in S7. Maybe another post.