Problems updating.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problems updating.

Postby themainliner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 18:15

I would never bump or worse still re-post the same problem on a forum unless I was forced to. As my previous post had it's thread locked I have to create another and to try to avoid being dismissed and this thread locked or deleted please let me make a couple of prefacing remarks.

My motivation in posting a question/feedback at any forum is twofold:
1) I'm seeking help to empower me to find my own solution (as oppose to just turning up expecting a fix).
2) I consider it a small contribution to a community to give visibility to a problem that is effecting my experience of the distro. It could be that many others are effected similarly and will read the responses to my post and be assisted. It could also be that many people simply deployed, ran into the problem I have and moved on to try another distro after a brief, unsuccessful search for a solution on the forum. In which case you would never get to find out that potentially many people are effected by what is essentially (at least for them) a show stopping problem.

I wrote a review of my experience of Sabayon at my blog (which I'm not here to plug) and I concluded that while Sabayon 6 showed massive potential I didn't think it actually succeeded delivered a usable “out of the box” experience. Now if this was not a stated goal of the distro fair enough, I wouldn't even mention it. I finished off with the remarks I'd leave 6 since it was clearly not working for me and revisit the distro next year at version 7 (and/or 8 ). Hence my 'See you next year' post. No trolling just a commitment to try Sabayon again (soon).

As I'm a) and engineer and b) pig headed I can never let go of problems and work on them until I'm totally frustrated and much more knowledgeable about the underlying systems or they're fixed. So I came back to Sabayon 6 and had another go.

Joost (the Entropy Maintainer no less) posted a link to his blog and a process for making the initial update process quicker and less aggressive “so it doesn’t start pulling in huge dependency trees. Entropy does not need them to run anyway.” Thnak you sir, I gave it a try. I went back and tried it three times to be 100% I was following the instruction to the letter and I wasn't making any moron errors.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Including submitting equo install entropy equo –relaxed and mirror sorting with equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly before I went for the equo update.

The result of following these instructions to the absolute letter was a 4 hours plus initial update process and once again a butchered Gnome System menu...

This is not trolling, whining or even a complaint. This is one user standing up and saying I have a problem out of the box that you should be aware of and for my own part I would like to try to fix this so I can start to productivity test what others (Linux Format, Dedoimedo) report is a very good system.

This post is massively longer than it needed to be and apologies for that.
Last edited by themainliner on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
themainliner
Baby Hen

Re: Problems updating.

Postby raman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 18:44

Again I don't understand your problems. Like you I installed Sabayon 6 XFCE, on another partition Sabayon 6 KDE. I had some problems with daily builds, but it's normal, so I install original Sabayon 6 realese: Sabayon_Linux_6_amd64_K.iso 22-Jun-2011 13:26 2.1G
So I think like you, I must install all updates.
And I not take joost advices and take upgrade system one at all. So I write only:
Code: Select all
#equo update && equo upgrade

So Yes, I must take a huge updates, but for me it's not a problem.
After updates, I didn't have any problems. XFCE and KDE are working properly.
Yes I have some issuses with XFCE, but this is issues in all distributions, because they are XFCE issues, not distributions. KDE is working properly from the box.

So what is your problem man? It's problem that you must download 400 files? You can try to download newest version, like DAILY snapshot if you like, without large numbers of upgrades. Like http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayo ... iso/daily/

For your information, I have installed Archlinux, LMDE, Mageia, Debian, Ubuntu on another computers and for this distribution, on thirst time of installation I must take huge upgrade, because they didn't have daily snaphots, so you must download files from about 3 months and more.

If you don't want to update system, I can do not update. It's working fine. You can only take equo update and install only this packages what you want to upgrade. So you have very wide range of possibilites.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby raman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 18:47

What the problem to turn on computer in night and take all upgrades. Really I don't understand you complaining man and it's annoying. No offence but really you trolling and the joost frustration is for me very understanding.

Omg I must take 400 upgrades, I don't hold it, AAAA. What the hell man? This is normal ffs, from what planet you are.
[EOF]
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby themainliner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 19:13

OK, I don't understand the hostility at all. This is not the tenor of response I'm used to on community forums and I've been pretty active on Ubuntu's and more recently Debian.

Secondly, what is my problem? Well, OK if I want to do an initial update it takes 4 - 5 hours. So, run it overnight. I hear that and that's fine I guess. Not many other modern distros require a update this onerous. You mention Arch and let's consider Gentoo as well, if I wanted a challenging build everything from source distro I would expect this. It was my understanding that Sabayon was designed as a user friendly out-of-the-box distro. Install and update went fine with with the KDE and LXDE variants I've built. The update completes and I can get down to using the distro.

What I don't enjoy is discovering that after 5 hours of (overnight) updating that Gnome is not working correctly. It's not much to ask to run an initial update and have a fully functional DE after. It works fine for KDE and LXDE, but I like Gnome. Fine dismiss my remarks about the amount of time it takes to update the distro post install and only address my issues with the state of Gnome post update.
themainliner
Baby Hen

Postby raman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26

Download DAILY snapshot.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby genfool » Mon Sep 26, 2011 19:43

If you download a daily iso, they are about a week old, will be less updates to get current.
Once you update sabayon and stay updated, is no need to install 7 or a newer version ... as a rolling release, you will have the newest point release before it is available on the mirrors.
Only real reason to have point releases now, 5.0, 5.5. 6, etc... is to cut down on the amount of updates to get current.

As a rule of thumb, sabayon next release will be ready when it is ready, not pushed out by any certain guide lines, or future release date.
One thing that does put pressure on the dev's, Is when a current release like 6, requires as much or more bandwith to update as a 2+ gig dvd down load ....and 6 is not there yet, butt is heading that way.
Again, just grab a daily iso to install.

About gnome, everyone knows that it is still beta, many sabayon gnome users have migrated to other de like xfce, kde ....
They will ride it out until gnome improves.
sabayon does not ship with gnome-shell, is known not to work with current ati-drivers. ati is working on it, claims next driver release will cure it.
sabayon has no desire to break others pc, if you do not use a current ati driver, install gnome-shell.
You might say, "Butt it works on my other distro"
sabayon is not "other" distro's, is a bleeding edge rolling release that imho, seems to be more stable than the other distros.
Often sabayon will be ahead of the hardware manufacturers.

Lots of reading available on all of this.
Is when people that do not take the time to read and learn ... then write blogs about their mistakes, blame it on the distro.
I am very passionate about sabayon, was my first linux distro back when 3.4e came out .... I have tried all of them over the years. Only distro that makes sense to me is a gentoo based distro.
I have a debian sid installed right now on a partition, I work with it and learn their ways, I simply shake my head at how difficult they make the most simple task's.
I am a firm believer that the best distro is the one that works for you, if you have older hardware, I am going to point you at debian.
If windows is what would do the job you need ... so be it.
Talk bad about sabayon, them is fighting words in my book :lol:
Hope you take the time to learn and use gentoo / sabayon.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby themainliner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 20:20

Well, I am hanging in but it's a rough ride. Re: Gnome, Gnome 2 man...has running an update delivered beta Gnome 3 stuff? That would explain the appearance and loss of functionality...

OK. I might try a daily build and I'm going to keep my KDE install too. As for the blog well it's my out of box experience with a distro I thought was designed to just work out of the box. I really am not against putting time a reading into learning anything let alone Gentoo/Sabayon.

Thanks for the more generous post. I hope to become a valuable member of this community and encourage people to try Sabayon, not put them off.
themainliner
Baby Hen

Postby raman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 21:04

If you like Gnome 2 try Sabayon XFCE is very nice, fast and light DE. I like it the same way like KDE.
raman
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area