BOINC again

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

djtmc
Baby Hen

BOINC again

Post by djtmc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 17:07

Well, I'm making progress with Sabayon and am liking what I'm seeing but, unfortunately, there's a potential show stopper for me in the shape of BOINC.

I've successfully (apparently) installed it with a simple emerge boinc; ps aux shows the client is running as a daemon and I've attached to World Community Grid, but it doesn't want to communicate or download any tasks and BOINC Manager doesn't want to communicate with the client.

I've tried Googling for help, but about all I can find are http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=21558, http://blog.dmaggot.org/2010/02/boinc-on-sabayon/ and http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installi ... _on_Gentoo none of which have helped me.

Any ideas or suggestions very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

David Shaw

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: BOINC again

Post by sabayonino » Tue Aug 30, 2011 20:01

Hi

Running Boinc on Gentoo :

Default working directory is /var/lib/boinc

to work on this directory only root privileges to manage all boinc data

set your working directory and "user" and "group" editing /etc/conf.d/boinc

if you want you can reset the default passwd of boinc project in a blank file "rpc_auth_conf" (or something like) on boinc working directory

start boinc /etc/init.d/boinc start

then you can run boinc manager.
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

djtmc
Baby Hen

Post by djtmc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 21:01

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely clear, I'm afraid, what to do, however. My /etc/conf.d/boinc file is as follows

# Config file for /etc/init.d/boinc

# Owner of BOINC process (must be existing)
USER="boinc"
GROUP="boinc"

# Directory with runtime data: Work units, project binaries, user info etc.
RUNTIMEDIR="/var/lib/boinc"

# Location of the boinc command line binary
BOINCBIN="/usr/bin/boinc_client"

# Allow remote gui RPC yes or no
ALLOW_REMOTE_RPC="no"

# nice level
NICELEVEL="19"

which all seems OK to me. Are you saying I need to change USER and GROUP to root? If so, it makes no difference. Also, setting /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg to a blank file makes no difference.

I've also tried downloading the 'official' package from the BOINC homepage, with the same results, which might suggest that something rather more fundamental is going wrong on my system.

Thanks for the help,

David Shaw

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Tue Aug 30, 2011 22:29

I suggest you to set "user" and "groups" as your user
i.e. :

Code: Select all

USER="your user"
GROUP="users"   ("users" is default group usually )
Set RUNTIMEDIR to your home directory or other directory that your user has write rights
i.e. :

RUNTIMEDIR="/home/your_user/boinc"
Save and run

/etc/init.d/boinc start
when boinc starts the first time , the "boinc" folder (~/boinc) will be created.

run boinc-manager (see your menu or run it from a console)

$ boincmgr & 

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

djtmc
Baby Hen

Post by djtmc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37

Unfortunately, that just makes things worse - I now get an error saying that the directory cannot be created when I try and run etc/init.d/boinc start.

Ho hum.

I'm really starting to think that I've done something horrible to my system in trying to learn Sabayon and am starting to contemplate the nuclear option of reinstalling the whole thing from scratch.

David Shaw

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:08

djtmc wrote:Unfortunately, that just makes things worse - I now get an error saying that the directory cannot be created when I try and run etc/init.d/boinc start.

Ho hum.

I'm really starting to think that I've done something horrible to my system in trying to learn Sabayon and am starting to contemplate the nuclear option of reinstalling the whole thing from scratch.

David Shaw
copy and paste here contents :

$ cat /etc/conf.d/boinc
Something's wrong in the configuration file maybe..

djtmc
Baby Hen

Post by djtmc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:43

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you - real life got in the way.

Anyway, I've discovered that I *have* done something very nasty to my system and so I'm going to do a full reinstall of Sabayon. I'll let you know how Boinc goes after I re-install it.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Sun Sep 04, 2011 13:05

djtmc wrote:My apologies for taking so long to get back to you - real life got in the way.

Anyway, I've discovered that I *have* done something very nasty to my system and so I'm going to do a full reinstall of Sabayon. I'll let you know how Boinc goes after I re-install it.

did you merge net-misc/curl without gnutls flag enable ?

Boinc required that the follow package must be compiled as follow :

USE="-gnutls" emerge net-misc/curl

try this before reinstall OS

djtmc
Baby Hen

Post by djtmc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 15:44

Yes, I did do that but I think I really have hosed my system - there's a lot more than Boinc that isn't working properly:

VLC works fine - until I close it down and then the system freezes to the point where no amount of skinny elephants seem to help; obconf segfaults; wine starts OK, but crashes as soon as I move the mouse plus a few other things.

I might be able to fix all this, but a reinstall will probably be quicker :-)

Thanks for your help - if the reinstall doesn't work, I'll be back (cue the ominous music ;-) ),

David Shaw

djtmc
Baby Hen

Post by djtmc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 16:19

It didn't work.

OK, this is what I've done (apologies for the length).

Wipe and re-install Sabayon 6 LXDE (which seems to have cured my other problems, at least)
emerge --sync
emerge boinc
# fails, as expected, with the message saying that curl must be built with the USE="-gnutls" flag

# fails configure with error [1]

Update the system
Reboot
# still fails configure, same error

emerge boinc
# apparently works

/etc/init.d/boinc start
# gives error [2] and daemon does not start

mv /etc/init.d/{._cfg0000_boinc,boinc}
/etc/init.d/boinc start
# no error and ps aux | grep boinc shows the daemon is running

boincmgr
# does nothing when clicking on 'Add Project' and eventually gives the error 'Unable to connect to the core client'

Edit /etc/conf.d/boinc so that USER="david-sab", GROUP="users", RUNTIMEDIR="/home/david-sab/boinc", no change
Edit /etc/conf.d/boinc so that USER="david-sab", GROUP="david-sab", RUNTIMEDIR="/home/david-sab/boinc", no change

I've also tried installing Sabayon 5.4 Gnome but cannot get boinc to install at all. emerge boinc complains about curl needing to be built with the -gnutils USE flag, as expected, but when I try this, I get an error saying that the file is masked and that I need to update portage to remove the mask. When I try to emerge portage, it fails saying that it is being blocked by logrotate.

At this point, unless someone can come up with something new to try, I'm afraid that I'm going to give up

David Shaw

[1]
checking for curl_socklen_t data type... unknown
configure: error: cannot find data type for curl_socklen_t.

[2]
* Caching service dependencies ... [ ok ]
* Starting BOINC ...
* File /var/lib/boinc/lockfile does not exist, assuming first run.
* You need to setup an account on the BOINC project homepage beforehand! Go to http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ and locate your project.
* Then either run /etc/init.d/boinc attach or connect with a gui client and attach to a project with that.
mv: missing destination file operand after `.old'
Try `mv --help' for more information.
touch: missing file operand
Try `touch --help' for more information.
chown: missing operand after `boinc:boinc'
Try `chown --help' for more information. [ ok ]
/etc/init.d/boinc: line 44: ${LOGFILE}: ambiguous redirect