Cups-PDF - How do I add a margin?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

djtmc
Baby Hen

Cups-PDF - How do I add a margin?

Post by djtmc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 17:08

Hello.

Quick introduction before I get to the question. My name's David Shaw and I've been a Linux user since late 2005 although I've only been using Sabayon (and LXDE) for the last 24 hours after finally admitting to myself that I'd outgrown Ubuntu (and Gnome).

Now to my problem. Having followed the how-to at http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... PDF_driver I have successfully installed Cups-PDF and can generate PDFs to my heart's content. But when I tried to print a hardcopy of one of the files, it was 'clipped' around the edges. I discovered that Cups-PDF was printing the documents to A4 size with zero margin, which my printer can't cope with. I tried reducing the print size to 95%, but couldn't center the print out so I ended up with zero margin on two sides. Having tried to Google for an answer, I've discovered that the documentation for Cups-PDF is sparse to put it kindly.

So, my question is this; how can I set up a default margin in Cups-PDF?

Many thanks,

David Shaw

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Cups-PDF - How do I add a margin?

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 17:19

Because CUPS-PDF is a virtual printer, it prints to the entire page, as one is then supposed to adjust the margins in the application used for opening and printing the resulting PDF file. Are you able to define margins in the PDF reader application that you are using to open the PDF file and print the PDF file?

Anyway, see e.g. Comment #3 in cups-pdf margins extend to the edge of the page if you want to alter the way CUPS-PDF works.

djtmc
Baby Hen

Re: Cups-PDF - How do I add a margin?

Post by djtmc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 0:36

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense; unfortunately, ePDFViewer doesn't seem to allow me to adjust, well, anything really :-)

The link looks interesting and I shall investigate it, but it seems as though it'll be easier to switch to a different viewer in the long run.

Many thanks,

David Shaw