Gnome

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Eisenhorn
Baby Hen

Gnome

Post by Eisenhorn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 20:27

After the latest update Gnome complety changed. I cannot anymore remove or modify the taskbars at the top and bottom of the screen. Does anybody have an idea how I can fix that again?

BR

genfool
Technological Hen

Re: Gnome

Post by genfool » Fri Aug 19, 2011 23:41

welcome to gnome 3

Eisenhorn
Baby Hen

Post by Eisenhorn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 14:37

Lol. Does your answer imply that its ment to be that way?!? :?:

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 15:59

Yes, Gnome3 is meant to be that way, prepare for the deep magic:
Try right-clicking on the panels while you press the "Alt" key.

genfool
Technological Hen

Post by genfool » Sun Aug 21, 2011 16:00

I may be wrong, I am a kde user and have been *playing* with gnome3 since it was in limbo testing.
As far as I know, at this time is no way to modify or add the task bars or panel.
I assume that gnome3 is still new and working things out. Possible their already is a way, I have not heard of it.
Here are a few tweaks that helps gmome3, if you have not already done so.

http://joostruis.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/149/

You do not want to add limbo repository, it is already in main and on your system.
ati is known not to work with gnome-shell, If you do not have a ati card, install it.

Eisenhorn
Baby Hen

Post by Eisenhorn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 13:59

Thanks for the repsonses. I haven't even noticed that the update upgraded gnome from 2.x to 3.0.2.
I have also noticed that it didn't install the so called "gnome-shell", which seems to replace the compiz as a compositor, isn't it?
Now I cant boot anymore, as gnome forces me to log of due to an unresolveable error. Right now I don't have access to my system logs, but I saw something like this in the xsession error log.
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Shall i just remove the compiz compositor? Or did I miss something in the setup.

BR

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39

Gnome shell is the so called "full experience" of Gnome3, right now it has some (many) issues with ATI proprietary fglrx, so it was not installed by default. Those issues should hopefully be solved with the next driver release.
Gnome shell is not meant to replace compiz, but it is known that compiz does not work very well with Gnome3, even if it should work with the fallback mode.
Can you post the entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
Is Gnome the only Desktop Environment that gives this error?