Copying Applications between installations [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

lourens
Young Hen

Copying Applications between installations [Solved]

Post by lourens » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:59

Hi,

I'm trying to avoid duplicate downloads so is it possible to copy a downloaded and installed application from one desktop to another and to install it there ?

TIA
Last edited by lourens on Sat Aug 20, 2011 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

joeoden
Old Dear Hen
Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Re: Copying Applications between installations

Post by joeoden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:07

If you update using entropy the files are downloaded to the directory /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/
If you update using portage the files are downloaded to the directory /usr/portage/distfiles/

You can copy the packages from the system that has been updated first to any other sabayon system you want to apply the same packages, keep in mind that you should update the database first on each system

I had to do what you are asking (before I got a real good deal for unlimited downloads) this is how with entropy
Open sulfur (entropy store) and apply all updates (use the command line if you prefer) to first system
Copy the downloaded packages (to your external drive) from /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/
Don't forget to copy the nonfree packages from /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages-nonfree/

On the other system(s)
Update the repositories first you can use sulfur or equo update (you can copy the database from the first system (I had less problems when I didn't copy the database from the first system))
Then open your external drive with your file manager as root select and copy the packages you copied from other system then navigate to /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/ and paste the copied packages

If you used portage (then the assumption is you know how to use portage) you should sync each system first then copy the downloaded packages (to your external drive) from /usr/portage/distfiles/
Then open your external drive with your file manager as root select and copy the packages you copied from other system then navigate to /usr/portage/distfiles/ and paste the copied packages

All the above can be done via the command line
All files can be copied via your network
I recall reading something about updating one machine then updating all other machines on your own network, sorry can't remember how (I had a quick look at man equo), hopefully one of the more advanced members can help
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!

lourens
Young Hen

Post by lourens » Fri Aug 19, 2011 16:28

Hi,

Thanks a million for the detailed instructions and the logic of the process makes sense to me.

I've been busy today so I'll do this tomorrow.

(I'm building a couple of machines for my buddies as replacements for another O/S so this will be very helpful :D )

Have fun.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Fri Aug 19, 2011 17:15

From the client pull from the server
- Optionally use rsync on the "client" system.

e.g. something like:

Code: Select all

rsync -rau --progress [email protected]_pc:/var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/amd64/ /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/amd64/
From the server push to the client
- the "scp" command is also handy to quickly copy files across the net

e.g. something like:

Code: Select all

scp -r /var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages/amd64/ [email protected]_pc:/var/lib/entropy/client/packages/packages
Mind you it might not be 100% correct, but you get the idea. :D
My blog | Twitter

Please support Sabayon: Image

lourens
Young Hen

Post by lourens » Sat Aug 20, 2011 13:21

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your assistance.

I am also now looking at http-replicator on my Gentoo Server/Gateway machine for future use, it does however seem geared towards portage.

Have fun.