Gnome 3

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

nickdanger
Simple Hen

Gnome 3

Post by nickdanger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 21:35

Hello All,

I have been using Sabayon Linux AMD64 - Gnome, for quite a while, and it keeps getting better. Version 6.0 (as introduced) was fast, familiar, and bug free (at least for the way I am using it). The latest updates install Gnome 3 which starts in "fall back" mode. Most users with limited experience, may not realize that what they are seeing is Gnome 3 without the desktop shell installed. I found that without the shell, a lot of convenience features no longer worked, even simple things like relocating icons from the drop menus to the desktop, or right clicking the desktop to access desktop properties. So, I installed the desktop shell, using Sulfur, which worked very nicely. The new Gnome shell shares the same concept as the new GUI on my smartphone, "hide everything." This is not a complaint about Sabayon, but possibly an observation, that once we approach optimal, further development "may" move us away from it. Gnome 3.0.2 is visually appealing, with very legible fonts, and clean graphics. With a little fiddling, it can be configured so that your way of doing things is not too radically different, and sometimes improved.

This leads up to my question... if I am using Gnome 3 shell now, what was I using (for a desktop) a month ago when I did a clean install of Sabayon 6.0 amd64 Gnome? My guess is Gnome 2 shell, but was that what I using?

Thanks for a great operating system. I use it every day to get real work done, while my friends scream at some "other" O.S.

Regards,
N.D.

Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Re: Gnome 3

Post by Crypto_ahash » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:21

You were using Gnome 2. You can in Gnome 3 also use the Desktop Icons and different little options to make it feel more like "Classic" Gnome 2. Install: gnome-tweak-tool

The first option: File Manager (Have file manager handle the desktop). Enable this and you will see your old icons again on the Desktop.

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:40

So where did everything go? Just about every setting I used is now gone. I have to reconfigure `Locations` in the clock, so now I need to figure out my geographical coordinates again. Buttons are missing or have moved to another location from where I can not move them back to where I like them. Why is there no readme included on how to migrate any of this?

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54

Okay, so I just installed gnome-shell and that really f*cked things up. Weird colors, flickering screen and the links for Applications and Places is also gone. Luckily removing gnome-shell was sufficient to get me back to this crippled desktop.

How do I revert to the old Gnome?

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55

You cannot revert or reinstall Sabayon 6 G.
It was posted all over the place that gnome-shell doesn't work with fglrx.

:wink:
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21

joost wrote:You cannot revert or reinstall Sabayon 6 G.
It was posted all over the place that gnome-shell doesn't work with fglrx.

:wink:
Like where?

And still if so, why not get a warning in place so people know they should skip this and every future update of Sabayon linux if they have a Radeon card? Which BTW is probably 70%+ of the population? Also Gnome-tweak-tool does not start; apparently it's missing the `Settings schema org.gnome.shell`

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:34

Don't blame us for it.

:D

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05

You could remove the gnome-shell package to prevent the Gnome Shell from starting, you should get the fallback mode in its place, which works fine with the ATI proprietary drivers.
(as root)

Code: Select all

equo remove --configfiles gnome-shell
It has been reported that the open source ATI drivers work fine with the Gnome Shell.

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06

I'm not blaming. I just like to know why Sabayon pushes an update while apparently knowing that this cripples many systems and not offer the right documentation for people to decide they shouldn't accept this update until a proper fix is provided. And if they do think that pushing this update is safe enough because they happen to know of a fix, I'd like to know what that fix is.

I guess that means that I am blaming...

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:12

Did WE force gnome-shell?

:roll: