Package upgrade policy

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

gggg
Baby Hen

Package upgrade policy

Post by gggg » Sat Aug 06, 2011 13:07

Hi!

I see that some of the packages takes a long time to get upgraded in the sabayon overlay although they have been in portage for some time. Is it possible to configure portage to upgrade some packages automatically or does all package upgrade requires a manual upgrade? Is there some policy document describing the process of upgrading packages or is it up to the maintainer?

One thing that I find a little annoying is that some packages contains version check on start-up and every time a new version is released I need to go to the bugs interface and ask for an upgrade. On some packages I feel constantly behind and I was hoping Sabayon was a bit more bleeding edge.

Is it a better solution to consider Ubuntu and specific PPAs for the different software I use if I want to keep my system as fresh as possible?

Thanks for your advice and opinions.

popsUlfr
Young Hen

Re: Package upgrade policy

Post by popsUlfr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 19:20

Hi.

I personally didn't quite get the feeling Sabayon was lagging behind so much, especially with the limbo testing repository added. What packages do you wish to have the latest version of? You could always just emerge their latest revision.
Updating/upgrading your system with emerge is risky business if you wish to keep entropy, otherwise you may successfully turn your Sabayon into a pure Gentoo system (nothing bad with that :P). Again if you know the software you need the latest version of, you could go ahead and add them to a set and

Code: Select all

emerge -uavDN @<YourSet>
after syncing your portage tree

Code: Select all

emerge --sync
Issues will arise if said packages start depending on more recent packages pulling in more and more stuff. But it's not impossible if you keep being careful ;)
Keep in mind that by default Sabayon has the ~arch keyword unmasked, so a portage world update will with great chance result in a very unstable/borked system but that's the risk of living on the cutting edge ;)

To get a taste of another great rolling release distro I might suggest Arch Linux. They usually have up to date binary packages and if it's still not new enough you have a facility very similar to gentoo's portage to compile the latest version. I have given up on anything not involving rolling releases a long time ago, so I can't comment on an Ubuntu way.

gggg
Baby Hen

Re: Package upgrade policy

Post by gggg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11

Btw, does anyone know where I can find the Entropy request rules? Been looking around, but can't seem to find them.