Encryption after Installtion

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Eisenhorn
Baby Hen

Encryption after Installtion

Post by Eisenhorn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 14:50

Hello,

What is the best procedure to encrypt the whole disk/or at least the home folder after installation. Is there a comfortable way like during the installtion?
I have a dual boot setup with GRUB.
BR

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Encryption after Installtion

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:36

Haven't done it myself, but it is certainly possible. SL is based on Gentoo, so Googling for e.g. "encryption after installation gentoo" should point you in the right direction. For example, Gentoo encryption with dm-crypt and luks looks promising (the package cryptsetup-luks he mentions is now called cryptsetup).

chasha420
Technological Hen

Re: Encryption after Installtion

Post by chasha420 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39

After messsing with Sabayon linux for quite a while and having a laptop that has the entire hard disk encrypted...I would obviously have recommendations for you so that you do NOT make the same mistake like I did...and waste your valuable time.

First of all when you check the "Encrypt" option and go with the default installation...everything is automatically created...separate LVM groups and volumes like "lv_home, lv_swap, lv_root", etc.

But there's one flaw to it, if you decide to go with the default option...the swap "lv_swap" is not detected at boot time maybe because it's encrypted and so I faced a lot of problems with that. At first I didn't realise that this was the cause of the problem and I was very upset as my laptop became quite unstable...since it has limited RAM, etc.

So remember to create a separate swap partition (unencrypted) and remove "lv_swap" volume group and allocate the remaining free space to either your home/root volume...and it should work fine.