Can not boot Lvmn2 Part [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Can not boot Lvmn2 Part [Solved]

Postby bescott » Wed May 04, 2011 20:18

Hello,
I am new to linux Sabayon to a point. I installed 5.0 about 4 months ago, and have not did much on customizing it other that backgrounds, mouse pointer an the like. About 2 months ago it would not boot anymore seeing that it was a 2nd system and I had to move and it was no that bug of a deal at the time I let it sit. Now I have some time to fix it and need help. I think I did a update of some kind, can not remember for sure and now will not boot to the LV.

Grub loads and I have 2 items to pick from the main img and recovery mode. nither one will let me in the system because of a error with the LV. It says thet I need to run fsck manully, when I do this it comes back with no such file or directory found!
I have looked at some of the postes here in the form and I have to say that most of it says to me is bla bla bla as most of it is over my head. I have used Windows for years and Linux is a creater of a different color.

I will type what is on my screen that I can see at this time as I know no other way to tell you what is going on, I can not get to any log files at this time so here goes...............

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Scanning for Volume Groups [ok]
Reading all Physical Volumes, This may take a while... [ok]
Found volume group "vg_Yorktown" using meteadata type vmn2 <---- This is my Puters name Yourktown [ok]
>>Activating Volume Groups [ok]
3 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_yourktown" now active [ok]
>>Detemining root device... [ok]
>>Mounting root... [ok]
>>Botting (initramfs)... [ok]
INIT: version 2.88 booting [ok]
Loading /lib64.rc.console/keymap [ok]

OpenRc 0.6.3 is starting up Sahayon Linus (x86_64)

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

* Mounting /proc... [ok]
* Caching service dependencies... [ok]
* Mounting / sys... [ok]
* Mounting security filesystem... [ok]
* Mounting /dev... [ok]
* Starting udevd... [ok]
* Popilating /dev with existing devices through uevents...
* Waiting for uevents to be processed...
udeve-work[5586]: '/usr/bin/vmmouse_detect' unexpected exit with status 0x000b

* Mounting /dev/pts.... [ok]
* Mounting /dev/shm... [ok]
* Setting system clock using the haedware clock [Local time],,, [ok]
* Setting up the Logical Volume Mananager ... [ok]
The link /dev/vg_yorktown/lv_root should had been created by udev but it was not found,Falling bacj tto direct link
creation.
The link /dev/vg_yorktown/lv_home should had been created by udev but it was not found,Falling bacj tto direct link
creation.
The link /dev/vg_yorktown/lv_swap should had been created by udev but it was not found,Falling bacj tto direct link
creation.
* Checking local filesystem ....
/dev/mapper/vg_yorktown-lv_rootcontains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/mapper/vg_yorktown-lv_root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsvk MANUALLY.
{I.E., without -a or -p options)
* Filesystem errors left uncorrected, aborting {!!]
* rc: Aborting!
* fsck: cought SIGTERM. abourting
/bin/sed: couldn't open temporary / ect/sedmy2cg6: Read-only file system
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
* Checking local filesystem ...
/dev/mapper/vg_yorktown-lv_rootcontains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/mapper/vg_yorktown-lv_root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsvk MANUALLY.
{I.E., without -a or -p options)
* Filesystem errors left uncorrected, aborting {!!]
* rc: Aborting!
* fsck: cought SIGTERM. abourting...

This is (none), unknowing_domain (Linux x86_64 2.6.34-Sabayon)

(none) login:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that is about it for the screen.... I have a custome bulit system with a dual core AMD +4400 cpu, 4 gig of ram, 1TB WD hard drive and a ATI 512 video card. Just your basic system..... I have tried to look at the on line How-to's with out much success, I am just as dumb as I was when starting to read them.... My AD, HD, LD does not let me consentrate to well with long reading, it is a pain for sure... It took me 2 hours to type this so far. Man I need a nap now...<G>

Thanks to anyone that can help with this issue and let me if you need more info let me know and how to get it if you can...

Bruce
Bruce E. Scott AKA: Scotty
"I'm not a brick layer, I'm a doctor..."
bescott
Baby Hen

Re: Can not boot Lvmn2 Part

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 05, 2011 0:38

Don't use LVM myself, so can only be of limited help. Google's telling me that the fsck command for an LVM partition is different to the usual fsck command for a non-LVM partition (see, e.g. How to fsck LVM Partition). Looks to me like a lot of messing around. You say that you didn't do much after installing SL and have not used it for several months. Why don't you download a copy of the SL 5.5 KDE LiveDVD and install a fresh copy. It's probably easier than messing around trying to rescue a corrupt file system, especially if you have nothing important on there.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby bescott » Thu May 05, 2011 2:27

Ok, I'll give the link a look see. Yep, I know, The disk I have is 5.0 but I have some backup files on the drive that I was hopeing to save because I have lost the others due to another harddrive crash on my other system.

What file system do you use? I installed linux back in 2009 and used the same Lvm I think and it crashed too!
thanks for the help, sure would like to save it if I can,,,,,
Bruce
bescott
Baby Hen

Postby amoebios » Thu May 05, 2011 17:55

Hey Bruce,

i've mounted LVM partitions repeatedly using the information here: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Mount_LVM.

A graphical LVM manager seems to exist, at least for Ubuntu and Fedora, but i've no experience with that.
amoebios
Growing Hen

Postby Skull Fire » Fri May 06, 2011 5:32

you can use and install lvm's, but the only way to boot into them is to atleast create a /boot partition on a primary partition. if you install / to a primary you dont need a /boot. most systems,bootloaders, or whatever cant see a logical partition, so something needs to be on a primary such as /boot or /.

also it may be impossible or extremly difficult to upgrade and/or add packages with 5.0. as stated above, you want to get the latest iso.

edit: for you to use lvm's you need to commit basically 2 primary partition: 1 for /boot or /; the other to create an lvm group, with presumably multiple mount points inside.

Sabayon can be totally installed to 1 primary partition using 1 mount point, / , but you would want to consider if you need swap, and if you want to share swap with other installs. a swap folder can be created inside of / after installation is complete, but that requires a little more work.
multi-booting Sabayon 5.5 kde 64 bit and others
intel e6600 @ 3.0 ghz core duo
6gb ddr2 800
biostar tpower i45 motherboard
nvidia 9800 gt
3) 7200 sata's non-raid
Skull Fire
Growing Hen

Postby bescott » Fri May 06, 2011 11:32

Hello everyone,
Thank you all for the great help!
To Fitzcarraldo and Amoebios both links were very informational, I read them both very carefuly and applied some of both to my issue. Then booted my system into the 2nd menu item which was recovary mode and when the screen said: Hit " I " for interaction something can't remember all the words, anyway I got to a prompt to enter root password and tried to enter it and it said that it was not the "correct password". Then it said : Hit Control D to contimue. Here I just hit the "Enter key" and got a command prompt. The prompt said: (None)# {I thought this was strange}... At this point I just typed "fsck" and hit the "Enter Key".

To my supprise it started to run and did all kind of stuff and asked several times to comtinue by hitting "Y" (For Yes) to repair the errors, and of course I answered Yes. Then the system rebooted and now it is up and running... (Yahoo!!!)
Got into the system and got to save the files I wanted too!

Then the Update said that there were New Updates, so I started it and it did not know my Root Password either! So here again I tried it again and this time I hit the "Enter Key" and the up-date started. Took 17 hours to install 2 different sets of update's...

Now here I have 2 small issues and a few other questions, the main ones are...
Why did the root password change or where did my master password get off too? :?:
Why did my system name change ftom " Yorktown " to " Sabayon " ? :?:

They were both set before the boot issues... Any Ideas? :?:

Thanks again for the great help! :D
Bruce...
bescott
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri May 06, 2011 16:25

bescott wrote:Why did the root password change or where did my master password get off too? :?:

No idea, but you can change both the root user's password and you own password by using the passwd command:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password: <--- Enter the root user's password.
# passwd  <--- This will prompt you for a new root user password.
# passwd bescott <--- This will prompt you for a new password for your user account.
# exit
$

If you cannot recall the root user's password then try using sudo instead:

Code: Select all
$ sudo passwd

bescott wrote:Why did my system name change ftom " Yorktown " to " Sabayon " ? :?:

I assume you are referring to the hostname? I've no idea why it changed, but, to change it to whatever you want, see the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Changing the hostname.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby bescott » Sat May 07, 2011 1:54

Hello,
Thank you again for the help and information..
I guess I spoke a little to soon, today the system is acting all screwy but at least I got most of the files I wanted... I downloaded the new 5.5 version and will install it tonight... Nothiing like a freash start... :D
Thanks again to everyone for the help..... Off to do a install... Scotty Out!
bescott
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area