Set up system time [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Set up system time

Postby pherynk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:32

Till the time I actualised my Sabayon after reinstall the time was correct. After actualisation I had to correct my sabayon by reinstall my kdm. When I rebooted my PC, this above mentioned problem discovered again.
pherynk
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:21

As I don't have Entropy installed on my laptop, and as I cannot reproduce your problem on my laptop, I have just switched on my nettop, which I maintain using Entropy, and updated all the packages to the very latest in the Entropy repository. I did this in order to be able to check if there is a problem with the latest version of any package in the Entropy repository. I updated the installation using the commands equo update, equo upgrade and equo conf update. I then installed ntp on the nettop using the command equo install ntp.

I cannot reproduce your problem even with a pure, fully-upgraded Entropy installation. The command /etc/init.d/ntp-client restart synchronises the system clock correctly and consistently:

Code: Select all
# date # Find out the current time in the system clock
Thu Sep 23 14:13:34 BST 2010
# date 092314002010 # Set the clock to an earlier time than now
Thu Sep 23 14:00:00 BST 2010
# /etc/init.d/ntp-client restart # Synchronise the system clock with a remote NTP server
 * Setting clock via the NTP client 'ntpdate' ...                                                                                                                               [ ok ]
# date # Find out the current time in the system clock
Thu Sep 23 14:14:33 BST 2010
#

I don't know what has happened to your installation to cause it not to be able to use NTP.

I cannot see what relevance it would have to your current problem, but have you got the kernel sources symlink assigned correctly?:

# uname -r
2.6.35-sabayon
# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-2.6.33-sabayon
  [2]   linux-2.6.35-sabayon *
#

The only other things I can suggest are that you ensure you do not have any dependency problems:

# equo libtest
# equo deptest

and, if that doesn't work, that you reinstall KDE 4.5.1 from Entropy:

# equo install kde-meta

and, if that doesn't work, that you reinstall polkit:

# equo install polkit polkit-kde polkit-qt
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pherynk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 16:17

My system is healthy, I mean, that there is the problem with basic instalation packages. I am able very simply set up the right time and I would like to be glad to work with correct system. Thak you for your help.
pherynk
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 19:53

Sorry, pherynk, but I just don't understand your English. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you now saying that your PC can access a remote NTP server using the command /etc/init.d/ntp-client restart and that you now have a different problem?

If you still cannot get the ntp-client initscript to access a remote NTP server, then see the post Re: Can't mount a USB external [Solved], in response to irreverent's post which also mentions a PolicyKit problem. It's a long shot, but perhaps that's your problem with not being able to access the NTP server.

If you now have a different problem, what is it precisely, and how did you fix the problem you were having with accessing a remote NTP server?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pherynk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 21:27

I only repeat result of commands of command line, you recommended. No, I have the same problem of the beginning. I would like to say, that there is only marginal problem and I am able to very simply set up the right time of Czech time zone, but not with using of ntp server.
pherynk
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 21:38

OK, understood. Your only problem is that your PC still cannot access a remote NTP server.

Have you checked yet if ConsoleKit is in the default runlevel?

Also, if I understand you correctly, you have performed all the commands I suggested in my earlier post.

Also, if I understand you correctly, you have re-installed all the various packages that I suggested in my earlier post.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pherynk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:14

Yes, thats all. Thank you once more. But this problem is unsolved.
pherynk
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:24

Try putting the following two lines before the "</busconfig>" line at the end of the file /etc/dbus-1/system.conf:

<includedir>/etc/dbus-1/system.d</includedir>
<servicedir>/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services</servicedir>

Then reboot and try again, as root user, the following command:

/etc/init.d/ntp-client restart
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pherynk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39

The system announced O.K. The time was changed. We shell see after the next reboot. Thanks.
pherynk
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 13:09

That's good news. You're welcome.

Please reboot as soon as possible to see if it still works.

Please file a bug report in the SL Bugzilla. See the link "Bugs" at the top right of this page. Explain the problem and quote the error message you were seeing that you posted earlier in this thread. Also give the link to this thread and quote the fix that I gave you. It is important that you file a bug report in case the problem you were seeing is not confined solely to you, even if I cannot reproduce your problem on my SL installations.

Also, if the problem remains solved after you reboot, please mark this thread as solved. To do this click on the EDIT button in the first post and append " [Solved]" to the Subject text. Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area