Need guidance with BOINC operation [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01
Location: Kelowna, BC

Need guidance with BOINC operation [Solved]

Post by LoneWolf_53 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:21

Greetings.

I just ran across this Sabayon distro last night and thought I'd give it a try as it comes in a 64bit flawor.

I have to say I'm very impressed with how installation went especially the part where it recognized my wireless card which was a first.

The main thing this machine is for however is crunching World Community Grid work units through the use of the BOINC client.

I found boinc amongst the packages in Sulfur but I can't get it to run.

I did notice mention of having to attach to a project which I did using the command line info shown during package installation but the problem appears to be an inability to connect to the internet.

My wireless connection is fine and browser works so it's not a hardware issue.

Getting BOINC to function is crucial to my staying with this distro so any help would be appreciated.

Please note that I am not great with Linux and command line stuff.

I installed the 64 bit version of Sabayon 5.3.

Also I am wondering if there is a utility that will monitor CPU and GPU temps as I found one back when I tried Ubuntu but have not seen such an item amongst the packages. I did see hardware monitor applet but that only seems to pick up one sensor whereas I was getting three with the other app.

Thank you kindly for any input.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

Darksurf
Old Dear Hen
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:01

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by Darksurf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 17:57

you can do it manually by opening a terminal and logging in as root by typing
"su"
it will ask for your root password enter it.
now enter
"cd /etc/init.d/"
"ls"
and you should see boinc try to start boinc via the commands it requires.

Its been a while and I'm not at my computer so I'm trying to do this via memory.
"./boinc start" or something like that.

Then it may be possible to do this
"rc-update add boinc" (or whatever the boinc command was)
and it will come on at boot up.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~

LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by LoneWolf_53 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 23:02

It's checked off in "services" as something that should run automatically.

I seem to recall that when I tried Ubuntu all I did was add "GetDeb" to the Synaptic repositories and that put BOINC in the packages offered and installing it via package manager was all that was required.

I guess I'm baffled as to why it doesn't work here when it's listed in Entropy?
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
Posts: 8218
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 23:06

Have a look at Installing BOINC on Gentoo in case it is of help. (Sabayon Linux is Customised Gentoo Linux.)

LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by LoneWolf_53 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Have a look at Installing BOINC on Gentoo in case it is of help. (Sabayon Linux is Customised Gentoo Linux.)
Bless you that's exactly what I needed to get it running.

Sure would be nice if it just worked after being installed by the package manager. :wink:


Any tips on what to use for monitoring CPU core temperatures in this distro?

I quite like the look and feel of Sabayon as it reminds me a lot of PCLOS which I tried some time back and really liked but regrettably they've never completed a 64bit offering which is what I wish to run.

Kudos to the creators of Sabayon. :cheers:
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by LoneWolf_53 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37

Fitzcarraldo you wouldn't happen to know how I can get the GPU crunching going would you?

I have an NVIDIA 9800 GPU and I know it works in Win7 so if it's possible I would like to get it going in Sabayon as well.

I did install the CUDA Toolkit 3.0 and the Nvidia drivers appear to be new enough but BOINC still says "no usable NVidia device found" ?????????

I did do a search for CUDA here but didn't get much in the way of useful info.

Any tips would be appreciated if someone could point me toward a solution.

Thank you kindly.
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

bobcollard
Simple Hen
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 23:11

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by bobcollard » Fri Aug 20, 2010 15:02

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Also I am wondering if there is a utility that will monitor CPU and GPU temps as I found one back when I tried Ubuntu but have not seen such an item amongst the packages. I did see hardware monitor applet but that only seems to pick up one sensor whereas I was getting three with the other app.

Thank you kindly for any input.
Try gkrellm for a Hardware Monitor.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Intel Core 2 Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz 4GB RAM
Sabayon 5.4, Xfce 4.8 Spin, amd64, Kernel 2.6.37-1

LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by LoneWolf_53 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 19:33

bobcollard wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Also I am wondering if there is a utility that will monitor CPU and GPU temps as I found one back when I tried Ubuntu but have not seen such an item amongst the packages. I did see hardware monitor applet but that only seems to pick up one sensor whereas I was getting three with the other app.

Thank you kindly for any input.
Try gkrellm for a Hardware Monitor.
Yes thanks I noticed that one but I prefer something smaller and able to sit in the task bar.

I ran across one called sensors applet in Entropy and that one will do the trick for now.

Thanks again.
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

Darksurf
Old Dear Hen
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:01

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation [Solved]

Post by Darksurf » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49

OMG! :shock:

This is NICE! I had to learn how to do it on my own! U rock Fitzcarraldo! our forums need the "Thanks" button like in modmymobile.com . That could and would be useful in these forums ;)
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
Posts: 8218
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Need guidance with BOINC operation

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:16

^Thanks.
LoneWolf_53 wrote:Fitzcarraldo you wouldn't happen to know how I can get the GPU crunching going would you?

I have an NVIDIA 9800 GPU and I know it works in Win7 so if it's possible I would like to get it going in Sabayon as well.

I did install the CUDA Toolkit 3.0 and the Nvidia drivers appear to be new enough but BOINC still says "no usable NVidia device found" ?????????

I did do a search for CUDA here but didn't get much in the way of useful info.

Any tips would be appreciated if someone could point me toward a solution.

Thank you kindly.
As I don't have Entropy installed on the laptop I'm typing this on, I can't check if the boinc package in the Entropy repository was compiled with the cuda USE flag. You can check in Entropy using:

Code: Select all

# equo search --verbose boinc
or using the eix utility:

Code: Select all

# eix boinc
If eix is not already installed then you can install it and update its index file:

Code: Select all

# equo install eix
# eix-update
What is the output you get?

Post Reply