Re: New to Sabayon: problems with sound, updating [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Crunnluath
Baby Hen

Post by Crunnluath » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11

Hello,

I'm new-ish to Linux (a couple of years) and brand new to Sabayon. I've mostly used Ubuntu-based distros up till this point, but I read a bunch of good things about Sabayon and wanted to try it. I first installed the GNOME edition (32-bit) on my spare box for experimenting on -- an old IBM Thinkcentre -- and was very impressed! First distro that ever recognized the old IBM monitor's native resolution (1600x1200) -- every other distro I've ever tried just defaults to 1024x768 and I have to manually create and set any higher resolution using xrandr. And on top of that, it connected right away to the old Linksys WUSB54G wireless adapter without my having to install a firmware file first! Not to mention the overall Sabayon style and feel. Bottom line, I was very impressed, and the praise Sabayon gets is well deserved!

Anyway, I liked it so much that I installed it on my main desktop (which previously was running Linux Mint) and now I have run into trouble. First of all, I can't get any sound, though all the levels are set to maximum (the sound works fine on the first computer, incidentally). I'm assuming this will have something to do with how Pulseaudio is set up and/or is interacting with the hardware, but I don't know how to go about figuring out what is wrong.

Secondly, I can't seem to update the system or otherwise run Entropy. I have a wireless signal (I only have a wireless connection in this room, no ethernet) and the icon in the system tray says that it is connected, but when I try to add the sabayonlinux.org repository database -- the first thing the system asks me to do -- I keep getting timeout errors; it won't or can't connect. If I try to close the window I get a not responding error and have to do a force quit. If I then try again, it tells me there's already another instance of Entropy running and I won't be able to do anything.

Might anyone be able to help me with figuring out what is wrong and how to fix these issues? I'm quite smitten with Sabayon and would love to use it as my main OS, if I can get it working.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Crunnluath on Thu Aug 12, 2010 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sisko43
Growing Hen

Re: New to Sabayon: problems with updating, sound

Post by Sisko43 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 13:32

Welcome to sabayon!

For your first problem: have you looked nothing is muted?

If that's not the case you can setup pulseaudio following this guide:

http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php? ... Pulseaudio

If you don't need pulseaudio anyway you can disable it without removing(heavy dependencies...) by executing as root:

Code: Select all

mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio /usr/bin/pulsesucks
This will get alsa back to control audio.

After that reboot !

Your second problem it's maybe no problem at all. After your system has started, "Magneto", the Entropy Notification Applet starts the work and updates the database automatically. You can see it in the taskbar the little yellow or green shield. So maybe this is the instance of Entropy already running and blocking your manual attempts...

Crunnluath
Baby Hen

Re: New to Sabayon: problems with sound [SOLVED], updating

Post by Crunnluath » Thu Aug 12, 2010 19:07

Thanks for your reply!

Following the link you posted, I raised a few levels in alsamixer, and now I have sound. Not that I understand how or why that fixed the problem, but it did, so I'm not going to worry too much about it!

As for updating, I think maybe the problem with timeout errors must have something to do with the internet connection, as I just discovered that I can't load any web pages in Firefox, either -- I keep getting error messages there also, saying things like "connection timed out" or "connection reset by server". I don't know what's wrong though. According to the newtork manager applet, I have a strong, working connection. And I tried loading a few live CDs of other distros, and I was able to get online right away, so I know the wireless connection itself is good; but for some reason in Sabayon, it seems that neither Firefox nor Entropy is connecting to it properly. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Sisko43
Growing Hen

Re: New to Sabayon: problems with sound [Solved], updating

Post by Sisko43 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 20:21

Two questions:
What type of encryption you're using and can you access internet without encryption?

When you have ethernet internet-access give "wicd" a try. You can pull it in by executing as root:

equo install wicd
At the moment I have no wireless but wicd was always better for me to handle wireless-connections

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05

^If you install Wicd then you need to disable NetworkManager too; see HOWTO: Replace NM with WICD. However, it looks like Wicd is broken, at least for some people: Wireless will not work [Solved].

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08

Regarding the timeout problem (which I don't have) that you are experiencing in Firefox, try disabling ipv6 in Firefox to see if it is the cause:

Enter "about:config" in Firefox's address bar and hit Return. Click on "I'll be careful, I promise!" and enter "ipv6" in the Filter bar. You should see a single Preference Name network.dns.disableIPv6 and its value is likely to be shown as "false". If it is, double-click on it to change its value to "true", i.e. you are disabling IP version 6, which causes problems (very slow browsing) for some Firefox users.

See also the following thread: ipv6 disable?

Crunnluath
Baby Hen

Post by Crunnluath » Fri Aug 13, 2010 15:41

Thanks for the replies, guys. My wireless network uses WPA/WPA2 encryption, but I don't think that is the problem. I created a profile for the network manager, and the first thing that the system does after I log in is connect to the internet. The icon in the system tray changes from the swirling "connecting" icon to the series of bars, and a message pops up which says "you are now connected". If I right-click and select "connection information", I get a box which shows the IP address, connection speed, etc. So I seem to be connected, by all appearances, and yet both entropy and Firefox seem unable to load anything -- I just keep getting "not found" or timeout error messages in both. Does Sabayon have some sort of firewall that might be interfering? I did try disabling ipv6 in Firefox, as suggested above, but that didn't change anything.

Sisko43
Growing Hen

Post by Sisko43 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 18:59

No, there's no firewall by default. You must install it by yourself.

Check firefox/NM that there's no proxy enabled. If not try to set the right ip to your gateway manually after internet-connection has been made.

An example:

route add default gw <ip to gateway>
Other possible way: try to raise the timeout in Network-manager and/or wpa-supplicant. Good values on timeout-errors are "6" or "10".

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 22:51

Crunnluath, have a look through the various tips and comments in the thread Browser not working [Solved] just in case something in there helps. You have tried some, but not all, of the things in that thread.

Crunnluath
Baby Hen

Post by Crunnluath » Sun Aug 15, 2010 23:15

Thanks for the replies. Since this has turned out to be a networking problem rather than an updating/entropy problem, I'm going to move subsequent discussion to the Networking and Wireless subforum. Thanks for the help.