Trying to install via SD Card

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to install via SD Card

Postby linuxnoobEEEPC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 14:05

Hi guys,

I've never attempted to install linux before, I'm getting an Alienware so im scrapping my EEEPC 1OO5ha, which im using it as a storage computer...

Anyways,

I have formatted my SD card into NTFS. I have mounted the ISO with virtual clone drive and then i drag and dropped all the files over to the SD card. When i reset my netbook i get "BOOTMGR Missing" - do i have to burn the ISO to a cd? Or what?

I am trying to use Sabayon 5.3 LXDE

I ideally wanted to try the livecd before i installed so i can see everything runs properly.

Thanks if anyone is able to help.

LinuxnoobEEEPC
My computer systems.
EEEPC 1005ha - Windows 7 [Soon to be Sabyon]
Dell XPS M1530 - OSX 10.5.6
Alienware m11x - Windows 7.

Wildlife Conservationist GEEK!
linuxnoobEEEPC
Baby Hen

Re: Trying to install via SD Card

Postby DanySK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 14:54

The best thing is to find an USB pendrive and use the UnetBootIn tool to create a live ISO. I guess it could work with the SD card too!
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby linuxnoobEEEPC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 15:26

DanySK wrote:The best thing is to find an USB pendrive and use the UnetBootIn tool to create a live ISO. I guess it could work with the SD card too!

Just made the live CD in UnetBootin tool, and i got the same issue. No BOOTMGR, so i cant even install it...

Do you think its becuase its on a SD card not a USB stick? .... I was able to install windows 7 with this methord [didnt use a LiveCD though]

I tried it also with my external hard drive and the computer didn't even see the partiton! :/

Thanks again.
My computer systems.

linuxnoobEEEPC
Baby Hen

Postby Wolfdale » Sat Aug 07, 2010 21:01

linuxnoobEEEPC wrote:I have formatted my SD card into NTFS.

Have you tried formatting the SD card into FAT32? AFAIK, Syslinux does not support NTFS.

I don't think the fact that it's a card and not a USB stick matters, as I've succesfully made a bootable SD card with Sabayon 5.3 LXDE just a couple of weeks ago using UNetBootin.

linuxnoobEEEPC wrote:I have mounted the ISO with virtual clone drive and then i drag and dropped all the files over to the SD card. When i reset my netbook i get "BOOTMGR Missing" - do i have to burn the ISO to a cd? Or what?

Just format the card into FAT32. Do not copy any file on it.
Then run UNetbootin, select the iso of Sabayon and the drive you put the card into, and let UNetbootin do its job.
After that the card should be bootable, no other action is needed.

Bye. :wink:
Wolfdale
Baby Hen

Postby linuxnoobEEEPC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:20

Wolfdale wrote:
linuxnoobEEEPC wrote:I have formatted my SD card into NTFS.

Have you tried formatting the SD card into FAT32? AFAIK, Syslinux does not support NTFS.

I don't think the fact that it's a card and not a USB stick matters, as I've succesfully made a bootable SD card with Sabayon 5.3 LXDE just a couple of weeks ago using UNetBootin.

linuxnoobEEEPC wrote:I have mounted the ISO with virtual clone drive and then i drag and dropped all the files over to the SD card. When i reset my netbook i get "BOOTMGR Missing" - do i have to burn the ISO to a cd? Or what?

Just format the card into FAT32. Do not copy any file on it.
Then run UNetbootin, select the iso of Sabayon and the drive you put the card into, and let UNetbootin do its job.
After that the card should be bootable, no other action is needed.

Bye. :wink:

Yes i did, but i didn't get anywhere with it. I was able to do it using pendrivelinux, after about 6 attempts!

Ill give that ago, i think i might need to re-do it as i couldn't find Beryl anywhere? and everytime i clicked on something it didn't open or it crashed firefox.

Thank you for your reply!!!

So i have a new question... - How on earth do you get Beryl and all thoes awesome effects working?
My computer systems.

linuxnoobEEEPC
Baby Hen

Postby DanySK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:44

Compiz is preinstalled in the GNOME edition, KWin in the KDE.
In LXDE you have to install Compiz manually through equo/Spritz.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby linuxnoobEEEPC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:47

DanySK wrote:Compiz is preinstalled in the GNOME edition, KWin in the KDE.
In LXDE you have to install Compiz manually through equo/Spritz.

Okay thanks buddy! so appreciate your help & everyone elses. As i know how to get the live CD i think i am going to download one of the other ones.

Ultimate noobish things... what do i click on to enable the effects? I've had a look through the wiki and everything and i cant find anything! :/

One last thing; what is the diffrence between Compiz & KWin?
My computer systems.

linuxnoobEEEPC
Baby Hen

Postby DanySK » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:50

linuxnoobEEEPC wrote:Ultimate noobish things... what do i click on to enable the effects? I've had a look through the wiki and everything and i cant find anything! :/

On GNOME, click on the Fusion Icon on the desktop. On KDE, KWin should be running by default. If you are using an AMD HDxxxx you may need to go to the system settings->desktop and enable the "disable functionality checks" checkbox.

One last thing; what is the diffrence between Compiz & KWin?

Compiz has MORE eyecandy and a FAR smarter cube/sphere/cylinder (which is eyecandy to me). You can enjoy an huge number of very very pretty effects. KWin is more essential and has a FAR better desktop grid, but in the other hand it is better integrated with the DE. Personally, after an year with GNOME+Compiz I switched to KDE+Kwin: all the things I use (dodge, magic lamp, present windows, desktop grid, desktop zoom, cover switch, draw on screen) are working pefectly and I have also better DE integration. I also get bored of the cube and now I just use desktops in a grid.

If you have an USB drive larger than 2GB, download both and use Unetbootin to create a bootable drive, test them in live and choose the one which impresses you more. You won't waste any DVD this way.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby linuxnoobEEEPC » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19

DanySK wrote:On GNOME, click on the Fusion Icon on the desktop. On KDE, KWin should be running by default. If you are using an AMD HDxxxx you may need to go to the system settings->desktop and enable the "disable functionality checks" checkbox.

Okay, thanks i got it! :) - When i clicked on that on the live CD i got an error, so it either didn't right to the SD card properly or something else is going on, but then again... I need to install it to find out it's full potential. Okay thanks for that i'll tell my father, he wants to have a fiddle and he uses AMD HDxxxxx. i have got the Intel GMA 950, the joys of a netbook! But i have seen Compiz & Kwin beeing used on the netbook on youtube!

DanySK wrote:Compiz has MORE eyecandy and a FAR smarter cube/sphere/cylinder (which is eyecandy to me). You can enjoy an huge number of very very pretty effects. KWin is more essential and has a FAR better desktop grid, but in the other hand it is better integrated with the DE. Personally, after an year with GNOME+Compiz I switched to KDE+Kwin: all the things I use (dodge, magic lamp, present windows, desktop grid, desktop zoom, cover switch, draw on screen) are working pefectly and I have also better DE integration. I also get bored of the cube and now I just use desktops in a grid.

If you have an USB drive larger than 2GB, download both and use Unetbootin to create a bootable drive, test them in live and choose the one which impresses you more. You won't waste any DVD this way.

Ah awesome, brilliant thank you!... I'll give them both a bash, see which one i prefer. I like the awesome fire effects.

Cool i will, would i need them in folders? or just have them both liveCD's on my hard drive?

Thanks once again.
Shame this forum doesn't let you give reputation!
My computer systems.

linuxnoobEEEPC
Baby Hen

Postby DanySK » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:39

Just download the images you want to try, then do this: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#install
DanySK
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area