Need Help installing Kupfer

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Need Help installing Kupfer

Postby iceman600 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 21:46

i really like kupfer and i do a equo search and its not found... so i think its not yet in the repo.
so i google a little bit bit i cannot install it... i already install the waf from tarball (i dont know it its necessasry to do that :D ) and then tried to install kupfer from Tarball and i got this error...

Code: Select all
Checking for Python module keyring       : not found
 error: Python module not found.

then i do a equo search on phyton keyring and install this
dev-python/gnome-keyring-python-2.30.2

then i try to install the kupfer again i still got the same error... con someone point me what to what keyring to install so i can install kupfer...
thanks.
iceman600
Simple Hen

Re: Need Help installing KUPFER

Postby DHalens » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24

Installation of packages from outside the package manager are unsupported.
Request the package to be added to entropy at our bugzilla.
This is the info you'll need to fill the bug:
Code: Select all
lappie dhalens # eix kupfer
* app-misc/kupfer [1]
     Available versions:  (~)1.99 {+keybinder}
     Homepage:            http://kaizer.se/wiki/kupfer/
     Description:         kupfer, a convenient command and access tool

[1] "keruspe" layman/keruspe
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Re: Need Help installing KUPFER

Postby iceman600 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30

im sorry but what do i do with that thing you gave me? Im new to sabayon... im a UBUNTU user and trying to get all my favorite apps on this distro. im beggining to fall in love with sabayon all i need to is kupfer or docky... coz i dont like gnome do... :(
iceman600
Simple Hen

Re: Need Help installing Kupfer

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:59

have you been to our wiki to learn the package managers yet?

DHalens gave you the output to show you the package is in the an overlay via portage. Mixing portage and entropy are not recommended for new people or anyone that doesn't understand what they are doing. The wiki does have a page on how to mix the portage and entropy also.

You choices is to use portage with layman to install the package or request the package via our Bugzilla. Manual installs are not supported. I highly suggest spending some time with our wiki tho. Feel free to request packages via bugzilla, but they should have at an ebuild before doing so.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby iceman600 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:17

yes... ive been reading the wiki for almost a week now... but theres so much for it to absorb in a week. ive been trying to fmiliarize myself with the package manager... ive updated the entrpy echo n sulfur... i also did the emerge thingy... i did not do the portage coz as u said and its stated on the wiki that its not recomended so i did not bother to go there.

i dont kno that installing outside the repo is not supported... i never read that on thw wiki.
so i think i just have to stick with gnome do for now...

i hve so mch to learn i kno coz comming from ubuntu to sabyon is like living on another country speaking a foreign language... :mrgreen:
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27

Gnome isn't a distro, it's desktop environment.

Each distro is different and the most important thing you can learn for a new distro is the package manager. Most any distro is gonna say, always use the package manager as it is best practice. This doesn't say you can't install via source, but all headaches of installing, running, and maintaining that package is up to you.

Here, all you have to do is go to our bugzilla page, request a new package, give the information the DHalens posted and the entropy team will look at your request for the package.

If you feel brave

emerge --sync && layman -a keruspe << you are adding the overlay to get the package, much like adding a repo in ubuntu
emerge -pv kupfer << you do this to see if it will pull many other files and if it does, use equo to install whatever packages you can, hopefully most of em

so lets say you do emerge -pv kupfer and it was to pull 3 packages foo1, foo2 and foo3, check equo

equo install foo1 foo2 foo3

the worst it will do is say nope, we don't have it sorry, hopefully it has them and it installs them, otherwise continue with the

emerge kupfer

profit?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby iceman600 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54

hahaha... i thing that is too much for me to handle just to install kupfer. ill stick to gnome-do for now. maybe ill read more about that bugzilla thing and request kupfer and hopefuly will be out on the repo soon... i love sabayon... it makes my laptop more faster snappier and i have no driver issues unlike ubuntu

love sabayon loving the community ... only issue i dont like is sabayon booting time is soooo long
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby iceman600 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42

hello wolfden.... i recieve an email containint this:

soes that mean i can istall kupfer now? if so... where?
thanks
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:23

no, means he added the information you forgot too as I posted a few posts back

Here, all you have to do is go to our bugzilla page, request a new package, give the information the DHalens posted and the entropy team will look at your request for the package.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby DontPanic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 17:19

I'm having issues getting this application into shape for the Entropy team to make a package for the repository.

I've added an ebuild for app-misc/kupfer-201 to the Sabayon portage overlay, but it has Sandbox errors.

The Sandbox errors are due to custom configure/build/install scripts used by the developer. It looks like Kupfer will require somebody who has enough interest in the project and skill with Gentoo ebuilds to dive into the custom scripts and resolve the issues.

If you really want this package, you can install it yourself from source. However, this is usually an acquired skill with linux.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area