Just installed sabayon Gnome ... Now what? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Just installed sabayon Gnome ... Now what? [Solved]

Postby iceman600 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 21:14

i just installed sabayon gnome ... amazing is all i can say. its faster and more smoother than ubuntu (for me tho) But im new to the environment. ive been reading the wiki a lot and im having problems installing programs i used to have on my ubuntu system...

problems i like to clarify are:
- how to add repositories?
in ubuntu all i do is sofware packages and add the ppa on tha add additional software... but here i can figure it out.

- how to auto mount my ntfs partition?
in ubuntu i just go to synaptics package manager and add the ntfs-config and there i can automount my ntfs partition.
i need this bacause i duak boot and mostly of my media files are on separate htfs farmat partition so im on my windows machine i can browse them too.

- and i try installing miro using equo and nothing happens... heres a screenshoot.
iceman600
Simple Hen

Re: Just installed sabayon Gnome ... NOW WHAT?

Postby Stupot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 21:40

To install an application, you'll need to run that same command as the root user.

So, in a terminal:
Code: Select all
$su
<root password>
#equo install miro --ask

As for the repositories, there aren't many repositories in Sabayon like there are in Ubuntu. There are a few, but depending on what you're looking for, the main repo might have everything you want.

However, I'll go ahead and point out one repo I know of (which includes instructions as to how you should enable it) viewtopic.php?f=76&t=20513

As for the ntfs issue, I'm not sure, but I know that this can be done in fstab.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G
(Look at mount at boot, it should all be installed for you already)
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby iceman600 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 22:26

thanks a lot Stupot...

that helped me a lot. now i need to lear this mounting thing... oh well with a little trial and error eventually i will get this auto mount working...

one more thing tho... on theming, does elementary theme worked on sabayon? i mean the modified elementary nautilus? do ou kno how to install it tho? or maybe point me on the right link for me to install it. big fan of elementary theme.

thanks a lot :lol:
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby iceman600 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:01

OK i give UP... i think i need help... i cannot do the auto my NTFS partition. i did follow the wiki but got to a dead end...

here is what i did... http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... read/write
follw the directions there... bcouse i cannot uderstand the other wiki.
i edit fstab and make it like this...

and after saving it i sis the addgroup ntfs i got an error... i even did addgroup Storage (which is the name of my partition) i dont know what to do so i tried it :D still error...

but im happy i got the windows dir on my media files... but absoloutely no idea what to do whit it :( really need help
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby iceman600 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:50

nervmind... i got it working tho :D
iceman600
Simple Hen

Postby pepe999 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:09

I have used Ubuntu before I swap to Sabayon. There are lots of things that you don't have to do but you had to on Ubuntu. Sabayon and Gentoo use source packages, not .deb, .rpm or other packages. Repositories are built-in in the system already and you don't have to add any other repos like on Ubuntu. When you install in terminal, do exactly what it says! On the screenshot it says Would you.... [Yes/No] so you have to confirm the changes by typing "Yes", not "yes" like you did..:)
There used to be a package called "gnome-volume-manager" for the automount of any kind of partition(NTFS/extX..) but the package has been removed recently because the end of support or what. Right click on the panel(top, bottom, anywhere you want) "Add to panel" choose "Disk Mounter" and click on "Add". When you want to mount the partition, just left click on it and choose mount or unmount. You can also add an entry to Fstab but it's not necessary..
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area